Tuesday, August 3, 2010

5 reasons why eBooks are awesome! by Stephanie Haefner


I’ll admit, I didn’t know a ton about ePublishing or eReaders until I actually had to. Yeah, I had seen the Sony Reader sample at book store, but the sample was broken. It seemed neat though. I thought it was cool to be able to take this small device with you wherever you went and store hundreds, even thousands of books on it.

I submitted my novel to an ePublisher, and that’s when I started to do my research. (A little backward, I know) But wow! I was amazed at what I found. This whole new world had been opened to me.

So here are my top five reasons for why eReaders, ePublishing, and eBooks are so awesome (in no particular order!):

Size, weight and adjustable font. I love love love to read in bed, but it is so not easy with a book…any book. My hands would get so cramped holding open a small paperback. And hardcovers- forget about it. They were so heavy. But now with my eReader, I can lay in bed and have no problem with the size or weight. I joined a gym as my New Year’s resolution this year. And I really do enjoy it. But sometimes the time can really drag. I used to bring my ipod or watch TV but the half hour to forty-five minutes I spent on the elliptical or cross ramp or other cardio machine just seemed to go by so slowly. I tried reading a magazine, but it was too hard to stay focused on the small print since I was bouncing around so much. Enter the eReader. All I had to do was set my eReader to the largest font—problem solved! I now read every day at the gym and not only does it make the time fly by, I am able to read more than I ever have before.

Shop without leaving home. I love the fact that I can shop for any book I want and have it loaded to my eReader within minutes. The Kindle is even easier, with wifi, you can finish a book, get online and download the sequel within about sixty second’s time.

Huge selection. Digital media opens our eyes to a much wider selection than any bookstore can hold. Anything you want to read, it’s out there.

The “Go Green” Movement. These days it seems we are being given a million ways to “Go Green” and I wholeheartedly support it. I take my reusable bags when I go grocery shopping. I recycle every thing I can. I turn off my lights whenever possible. Ebooks are just another great way to make progress on this movement. It’s only logical to say if we reduce the amount of “tree books” we buy, the better it is for the environment. And not to mention magazines and newspapers that are also available for the eReaders. Buy an eBook, save a tree.

Wow factor. I think our generation is about 50/50 on eBooks. Some adore them…while others are not so impressed. I do love a real paper book, but after owning my eReader, I can’t imagine going back. One book once in a while is one thing, but never again will that be my sole way of reading. But the next generation, they are completely wooed by technology and gadgets. Recent years have shown a surge in young adult readers, which is fantastic. And these young readers are going to want to keep reading, but their tastes will mature. And they’ll want/need the gadgets to keep up with their reading.

So there it is. These are my reasons for why eBooks are the best thing since sliced bread. The world is constantly changing and honestly, sometimes that is pretty exciting. Look at where we were twenty years ago, and think of where we’ll be twenty years into the future. While I don’t think traditional print publishing will fade out in the next twenty years, I am certain that digital publishing is here to stay!


Bio:
Stephanie Haefner is a wife, mother of two and novelist. Her debut, A Bitch Named Karma, is available from Lyrical Press. Her shorter works have been published in Nickel City Nights: Erotic Writing in Western New York, Flash Me Magazine, Chicken Soup for the Soul, and Voices from the Herd. She is a member of the Buffalo Writers Meetup Group and when not writing, she enjoys dance, scrapbooking, golf and Walt Disney World. Visit her at www.stephaniehaefnerthewriter.com.

A Bitch Named Karma:
Karma may be a bitch, but sometimes she knows what she’s doing.

When author Lexi Marshall’s perfectly fabulous life of designer clothes, nights on the town with her sexy boyfriend, and a successful writing career literally go up in flames, she must take on Karma and fight to gain control over her life. Lexi believes her cliché-filled novels are the reason for Karma’s wrath and after a high calorie pity party, she’s determined to rebuild her life to what it once was...that is, until her gynecologist utters a phrase she never expected or wanted to hear: she’s pregnant. Unfortunately, the father is her fresh out-of-the-closet best friend and not the new man in her life. With the loss of the man she started to fall in love with and adapting to her new awkwardly pregnant body, can Lexi find where she belongs in her new world? And will doing ‘the mom thing’ her way, cause Karma to further punish Lexi for the selfish fashionista she once was?

6 comments:

  1. I, too, like the idea of being able to buy and start reading a sequel in a matter of minutes. I usually buy the first book of a series to determine if I'll like it. When I do, I either have to drive to the bookstore (and they aren't open at 1:00 a.m. after I've finished the book) or order it online (and wait a week). This can be annoying, especially when I'm ready to read the book now!

    With an ereader, I have my sequel in minutes and can continue reading a great series.

    Thanks,
    Tracey D
    booklover0226 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So try about series! I'm the same way, buy book 1, see if I like it. I don't have an ereader (yet!) but I'm hoping hubby buys me a Nook for my birthday or Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love a copy but I have the Kindle app for iPhone rather than just the Kindle. I'm under the impression anything that can be read on a Kindle can be read using that app? So far anything on Amazon that's downloadable by Kindle just loads right on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you win, Stephanie, I have it in several formats..maybe one will work with the Kindle App????

    Thanks for stopping by everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on the joys of reading in bed with an eReader. Mine even has a "night-light" so I don't have to keep the bedside light on and annoy my hubby. *happy sigh* Reading under the covers was never so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The free books are so much fun to read. I have founded so many on kindle. i love my reader.

    lorettaC
    lbcanton@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.