Sunday, August 1, 2010

The New Revolution by Annie Nicholas

To Kindle or not to Kindle? That is the modern question.
A dawn of a new age approaches and many of us are caught between the past, with paper print books, and the future, with digital story downloads. The younger generations playing Nintendo ds and using iTouch technology won’t have trouble adjusting to the idea of books on screen. I think most will prefer it.
Can you imagine all your college text books stored on one pad? Most ebook reading devices allows you to highlight passages and take notes on their documents, knowledge at your fingertips and easily bookmarked.
The technology is here to stay. As soon as I heard Barnes And Noble took over Fictionwise, a large online bookstore, I knew ebooks would be the wave of the future. Then the iPad came out and confirmed my suspicions. As an author I got very excited! I consciously chose to be published with ebook publishers so I could get my foot in the door of a growing industry.
Ebook’s development has changed the publishing model and everyone is in flux, trying to adjust to see where they all fit. In the paper model, publishers have to calculate cost of paper and transport of the print books. The stores want a guarantee that what books are not sold can be returned, which adds to costs. None of these things apply to digital publishing and in effect books are cheaper and writers can be compensated better. The environment benefits from this technology as well, with no use of paper and no need for fossil fuel.
The downside is you need something to read these books on: computer, Kindle, Nook, iPad, Sony E-reader, Kobo, iTouch, etc. A lot of these technologies are not available to the rest of the world. YET. Each gadget has its own pros and cons. All I can suggest is to research what works for you. I use a Nook wifi and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Another issue is for people, like me, who like to read in the tub, by the pool, or on the beach. Can’t blow dry a wet Kindle and expect it to work. I still keep my paperbacks for the tub but learned a large ziplock bag is my friend in other environments.
I don’t think paper books will disappear but will become a special item instead of an everyday thing. Stories will always need to be told, just like when we went from spoken word to written, now we will go from paper to digital.
Annie Nicholas
www.annienicholas.blogspot.com

About the author:
Annie Nicholas hibernates in the rural, green mountains of Vermont where she dreams of different worlds, heroes, and heroines. When spring arrives the stories pour from her, in hopes to share them with the masses one day. Mother, daughter, wife are some of the hats she happily wears while trudging after her cubs through the hills and dales. The four seasons an inspiration and muse.


2 comments:

  1. Though I have a Sony Reader, I still enjoy reading paperbacks. And I agree with Annie, a ziploc bag can become your best friend near the water!

    Thanks,
    Tracey D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I forgot my email address...
    booklover0226 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...