Saturday, July 23, 2011

{Review}The Craigslist Murders

The Craigslist Murders (Melville International Crime)The Craigslist Murders
by Brenda Cullerton
Publisher: Melville House Publishing
Genre: FICTION - ADULT: Literary
Pub Date: 05/17/2011


Who’s killing the Upper East Side trophy wives?

Unleashing the pent-up fury most Americans feel over the financial crisis, Brenda Cullerton’s wickedly riotous tale of an interior “desecrator” turned murderess is a flaming arrow into the dark heart of Manhattan’s filthy rich.

Working on New York’s Upper East Side for phenomenally rich and frighteningly skinny women who are suffering from BBS (Birkin Bag Syndrome—a muscle ailment due to carrying heavy pocketbooks) has driven interior designer Charlotte Wolfe mad. It seems to her that the insatiable pursuit of luxury breeds monsters. She gets even angrier when she begins to encounter the same thing over and over again: these women are so cheap they go on Craigslist to sell things their husband kept from wife number one.

As the financial crisis escalates and Charlotte’s own resources dwindle, her rage leads her to not only bite the well-manicured hands that feed her, but to do something more—to really clean house. A razor-sharp satire that’s both laugh-out-loud funny and edge-of-your-seat suspenseful, The Craigslist Murders will inspire readers to cheer an unlikely heroine, whose nightmares are the stuff of a poor person’s dreams.

Review: A tongue in cheek look at the upper crust, mixed with hold on to seat suspense.
I pretty much instantly liked Charlotte. She's a interior designer for the well-to-do of NYC and well a serial killer. She's also probably the most empathic serial killer I've ever come a crossed. This is the first book I've ever read totally in the killers POV and it was great. Charlotte isn't just your standard female killer either, she blows the whole behavior science thing right out the window. 
As the book progressed and you got more information, about Charlotte I could totally understand why she was doing what she was doing. I felt bad for her and actually found myself routing for her. I wanted her to get away with it. Charlotte pulls you into her world and sucks you down with her as she spirals out of control. I was entranced wanting to know if she would get away. I waited to see if she would slip up. Would the cops catch her or would she some how manage to stay one step ahead of them. These questions and the mixture of Charlotte likability made me want to finish the book. It's actually been a while since a book like this surprised me at the end yet this one did. With a wonderful surprise at that. I really enjoyed this book and would love to read more like it.
Disclaimer: I received this book from NetGalley and was not required to provide a review.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, when a book has you rooting for a killer you know it's written well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.