Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Boyfriend From Hell Book Tour

Bad Girl
Thanks for having me as a guest.

In my new novel, Boyfriend From Hell, our heroine, Megan, starts dating bad boy, Guy Matson, after which all hell breaks loose. Lately I’ve been obsessed with bad boys. I believe this recent obsession is something I’ve been repressing since my teenage years. Back then every girl I was interested in liked their boys baaad. So I really, really, really wanted to be a bad boy—but I wasn’t.
This post, however, is not about my attempt at being a bad boy. This post is about Susan, my first and only bad girl girlfriend. I don’t even know if I can actually call Susan my girlfriend since I never asked her to be my girlfriend.
Let me explain. I was thirteen, in the eighth grade. Susan was new to the neighborhood, but had quickly earned a reputation for herself as one of the girls not to be messed with. Not by girls. Not by boys. Not by teachers. Susan was the first girl I knew who smoked. I’d often see her sitting on her stoop, a cigarette dangling from her lip like a card shark, as she spoke a-mile-a-minute. The way that cigarette could hang there without dropping off was a fascination to me. While other young girls who smoked put out their cigarettes before they got into the neighborhood, Susan smoked right in front of her own apartment building.
She had scars on her arms, and one on her upper lip from fighting, I guess. I’d never seen Susan in a fight, but I’d heard of her beating up boys. I had never beaten up anyone. Her prowess only added to her mystique. Beneath the scowl and the scars and the cloud of smoke, Susan was cute. She was no raving beauty, but who was back then.
I was in the accelerated learning program, and somehow Susan was placed in my class. She didn’t look like she belonged there, but no one was going to question her presence. One day in home room three of the popular boys were teasing me. I can’t remember why. I’d known these guys since 6th grade. Two of them were on the b-ball team.
Stop messin’ with my boyfriend,” Susan said. There was a veiled threat in her voice.
The entire class stopped what they were doing and looked at her. Susan was a girl of a few words. She’d had very little social interaction with the class until then.
Who? Eric?” one of the boys said, as if she’d just told a joke. Susan stood up.
You got a problem with that?”
Needless to say, no one had a problem with me being Susan’s boyfriend. The teasing stopped. I couldn’t figure out why she did it, why she came to my rescue. Even though I was glad the teasing stopped, it was embarrassing having a girl stand up for me. Then, to my surprise, after school, Susan appeared by my side.
Hi, boyfriend,” she said with a big smile.
Umm. Hi.”
Were you leaving without me? Aren’t you going to walk me home?”
Umm. Sure.”
We started walking and Susan lit up. “Hey boyfriend, aren’t you going to carry my books?”
Right,” I said taking her book bag.
As we walked she chatted amiably, I can’t remember about what. I was in too much of a daze. None of my friends approached us. We were and island among an ocean of kids on their way home from school—an island no one wanted to go near.
The next day one of the boys asked. “What’s with you and Susan?”
I didn’t know how to answer, because I didn’t know what was with me and Susan. I walked her home from school every day that week. She’d smile at me in the hall between classes and say “Hi, boyfriend.” “Hi,” I’d respond, embarrassed.
I didn’t want to be Susan’s boyfriend—mostly because when Susan was around, all social activity at school stopped. I liked being socially active. But there was no way I was going to dump her. I had a feeling Susan didn’t take kindly to being dumped.
On Friday as we walked home from school Susan said “Don’t let those boys talk to you like that.”
Their my friends,” I said.
I don’t like the way they talk to you. Don’t let them do it.”
Okay,” I said.
On Monday, Susan wasn’t waiting for me to walk her home from school. All the “boyfriend” talk stopped. A few days later she was transferred out of my class. My life went back to normal. When I’d see her at school or on the street, sometimes she’d look at me and smile, other times she’d look right through me.
Over the years, I’ve often wondered about Susan. Why did she do it? I’m a guy who likes strong women. Maybe my week as Susan’s “boyfriend” is where it began.
If you’d like to read a free sample of Boyfriend From Hell go to my website (http://evanlowe.com/) and click on the Boyfriend From Hell Sample link.
Thanks for having me; thanks for listening. Peace.

Aww, Hell No!
Fifteen year-old Megan Barnett and her single mom, Suze, have a special relationship—they are friends, close friends, who do almost everything together.
But come on, guys, she’s my mother… Can I really tell her that while we’re snuggled up on the sofa watching Spider Man Three, I’m secretly undressing James Franco with my eyes? Of course not…”
The special bond takes a turn for the worse when Suze decides to start dating again. She hasn’t had a man in her life since Megan’s father left ten years ago.
Enter two mysterious young men, Megan’s new classmate, sinfully attractive bad boy, Guy Matson, and the dangerously handsome art dealer, Armando. Before long Megan and Suze both wind up in steamy relationships. But neither of the handsome guys is quite what he seems. In fact, one of them is Satan, with his sights set on a new bride. Megan has precious little time to figure out how to stop him. If she doesn’t, either Megan or Suze are quite literally going to HELL.
Boyfriend From Hell is the first book in the Falling Angels Saga from the author of the gruesomely hilarious, Never Slow Dance With A Zombie



About The Author
E. Van Lowe is an author, television writer, screenwriter, Playwright and Producer who has written and produced such shows as The Cosby Show, Even Stevens, and Homeboys In Outer Space. He has been nominated for both an Emmy and an Academy Award. Van Lowe recently stepped into the young adult fiction genre with his comedic novel, Never Slow Dance With A Zombie. It was a selection of the Scholastic Book Club, and a nominee for an ALA Award. Boyfriend From Hell is Van Lowe’s second YA novel.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for having E as a guest- glad you enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.