Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Interview with Lisa Becker

Today I'm interviewing Lisa Becker author of Click: An Online Love Story.

Hi Lisa, Tell us a little bit about yourself and your writing?
I’m a full time mom and wife to the best family ever; part time public relations professional for an international PR firm; part time professor of public relations courses at a state university in California; and I’m bringing to market a children’s education product that I’ve invented. Somehow in between all of that, I managed to write a novel. Needless to say, there’s never a dull moment around here.

What type of books do you enjoy?
I love to read. Always have. Always will. My favorite genre is chick lit, which is probably why I felt compelled to write a novel the way that I did. Sadly, I’ve been so busy writing my book, I haven’t had much time to read lately. But, I’ve got a vacation planned this summer and top of my list is The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I’m hoping to finish it before seeing the movie.

What was it about this book that made you want to write it?
My husband and I met online on a popular dating website. After we married, I was recalling some of the hilarious experiences that I had with both traditional and online dating.  I decided to capture some of them in writing and from there, a novel emerged.  Click is loosely based on my real-life dating experiences, as well as stories friends have shared with me.  In some cases, things are written as they actually occurred. Other scenarios are exaggerated for entertainment value or comedic affect. And some scenarios are completely fictionalized. I really did go out on a date with someone I met online who started every story (no joke!) with “My buddies and I were out drinking last night.” But, the happy ending is real.  Steve and I have been happily married for eight years and have two amazing daughters. 

Why did you choose to write an online romance?
Authors are always told to “write what you know.” Again, since I met my husband online and had gathered some hilarious and compelling dating stories, the ultimate goal was to create a fun read for anyone who has ever had a bad date, been in love, been dumped, or is searching for "the one." 

Why in all email correspondence?
Many years ago, I read a book called e by Matthew Beaumont which tells the story of a fictitious ad agency vying for a big account, with the story all told in emails.  I thought that narrative style would work really well for the story I wanted to tell about the online dating world.  It was a modern way of storytelling that fit the topic and the times. 

Which character in the book would you call to “hang out” with?
I think I most identify with Renee, but my favorite character is Shelley too. She’s confident, brash, outrageous and wholly unapologetic for her choices. She was so fun to write. Her hilarious habit of giving nicknames to her “man du jour” was inspired by a childhood friend of mine who had a nickname for a guy in college that she admired from across the dorm cafeteria. She called him Maverick because he looked like Tom Cruise in Top Gun. Much like Shelley, she is a self-confident, gorgeous, lovely gal and it wasn't long before they met and dated for a spell.

Do you read reviews of your books? If so, do you pay any attention to them, or let them influence your writing?
I read, re-read and agonize over every review and they certainly do influence me. I have a Facebook page here set up for Click: An Online Love Story. And I’ve been asked numerous times when the sequel is coming out. I’m thrilled people are feeling invested in the characters and want to know more. With each positive review and reader comment, I get more and more motivated to continue writing. Due to the feedback so far, I have started working on a sequel, Double Click that picks up a year or so later. I hope people will be excited to see where Renee and her friends are in their lives.

What would your ideal career be, if you couldn't be an author?
I’m fortunate to have a wonderful career outside of writing including being a wife, mom, PR professional, college professor and soon, Girl Scout Daisy Troop leader. But, I’ve always wanted to learn to professionally decorate cakes. Not only does it look fun, but really yummy!

Is there anything special you would like to share with the readers about Click or yourself?
I’ve said many times before, if it happened for me, there’s hope for you. And, as my grandmother used to say, for every chair, there’s a tush. Love is out there; just be patient. And concentrate on being a complete, happy and fulfilled person on your own.  When you are happy and secure in your own life, you will be much more attractive to someone else. 

Thank you very much for joining me today. 

Here's a little information on Click: An Online Love Story 

Fast approaching her 30th birthday and finding herself not married, dating, with a prospect or even a house full of cats, Renee Greene reluctantly joins her best guy pal on a journey to find love online in Los Angeles.  The story unfolds through a series of emails between Renee and her best friends (anal-retentive Mark, the overly-judgmental Gretchen and the sexed-up Shelly) as well as the gentlemen suitors she meets online.  From the guy who starts every story with "My buddies and I were out drinking one night," to the egotistical B celebrity looking for someone to stroke his ego, Renee endures her share of hilarious and heinous cyber dates.  Fraught with BCC's, FWD's and inadvertent Reply to All's, readers will root for Renee to "click" with the right man.   

Follow Click: An Online Love Story on Facebook
Purchase Click: An Online Love Story on Amazon - print and Kindle (it's also available at bn.com, iTunes bookstore and other e-book retailers.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.