Thursday, September 15, 2011

{Review} Darkhouse by Karina Halle

Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror)
 Darkhouse
  by Karina Halle
Publisher: Metal Blonde Books
Released: May 12, 2011
Genre: Fiction Adult or YA: Paranormal

There’s always been something a bit off about Perry Palomino. Though she’s been dealing with a quarter-life crisis and post-college syndrome like any other twenty something, she’s still not what you would call “ordinary.” For one thing, there’s her past which she likes to pretend never happened, and then there’s the fact that she sees ghosts. Luckily for her, that all comes in handy when she stumbles across Dex Foray, an eccentric producer for an upcoming webcast on ghost hunters. Even though the show’s budget is non-existent and Dex himself is a maddening enigma, Perry is instantly drawn into a world that both threatens her life and seduces her with a sense of importance. Her uncle’s haunted lighthouse provides the perfect catalyst and backdrop for a mystery that unravels the threads of Perry’s fragile sanity and causes her to fall for a man, who, like the most dangerous of ghosts, may not be all that he seems.  

Review: I've been a fan of ghost stories and ghost hunting for a long time. For a short period my husband and I even dabble in ghost hunting with a few friends. We never found anything... but when I saw this book I had to read it. I wasn't disappointed either. Ms Halle writes a horrifying tale of a haunted light house and Perry's adventure with Dex in it.
I loved Perry from the get go, her snarky humor and wit left me smiling and out loud laughing at times.  Thing was there was something about Perry you just didn't get. Same goes for Dex, he's a total mystery. I found it hard to think of Perry as a twenty something year old, I found myself thing she was in her teens. I think this came from her problem child attitude, the fact her parents treated her like one and the interaction with her sister. I felt the same way about Dex that he was younger because of the way he acted and talked. I found myself wondering several time if he was really crazy or just messing with Perry. At other times I wondered if it wasn't all in Perry's head.
But there were sections in the book that were normal, not paranormal and these helped make the book. They helped move the book along. While this wasn't a strict YA book it did have that feel yet then a cuss would pop out and I'd realize it was more for adults.
While this did stretch the paranormal factors, I still liked it and enjoyed the book. I feel Ms Halle did a great job with this and I'm excitedly looking forward to the rest of the series. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...