Thursday, September 29, 2011

{Review} Embers (Anya Kalinczyk #1) by Laura Bickle

Embers (Anya Kalinczyk #1)
by Laura Bickle
Publisher: Pocket Books
Released: March 30, 2010
Genre: Fiction- Adult: Paranormal, urban fantasy

Bad to the Bone and Shade

Unemployment, despair, anger--visible and invisible unrest feed the undercurrent of Detroit's unease. A city increasingly invaded by phantoms now faces a malevolent force that further stokes fear and chaos throughout the city.

Anya Kalinczyk spends her days as an arson investigator with the Detroit Fire Department, and her nights pursuing malicious spirits with a team of eccentric ghost hunters. Anya--who is the rarest type of psychic medium, a Lantern--suspects a supernatural arsonist is setting blazes to summon a fiery ancient entity that will leave the city in cinders. By Devil's Night, the spell will be complete, unless Anya--with the help of her salamander familiar and the paranormal investigating team --can stop it.

Anya's accustomed to danger and believes herself inured to loneliness and loss. But this time she's risking everything: her city, her soul, and a man who sees and accepts her for everything she is. Keeping all three safe will be the biggest challenge she's ever faced.

Review: This was a first for me, I've been finding a lot of those since starting this blog. Anyway this book was pretty cool. Anya is a lantern which is basically a person who can see spirits and eat them. Actually she kind of absorbs them, but can't really comes to grips with her power. She some times helps out DAGR which is a paranormal reserch group. Although she feels more obligated to do it than out of paranormal curiosity.
A neat thing in the book is Spark, he'd kind of like Anya's supernatural pet. Sparky is a fire elemental and looks like a hellbender (salamander) fitting I thought. I found Sparky cute, cuddly and protective, I kind of want my own.
Anya works as an investigator for the fire dept. She called into investigate a series of arson's. They are strange and the case leads her Drake another lantern who has in qualms about using his powers. I actually liked Drake, yes he was a bot of a prick. Yet as the book progressed I came to understand his point of view.
The end of this book was surprising yet well done. I really enjoyed this book and found it to be riveting.

Disclaimer: I received this book as part of a book tour from the author.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for taking the time to read and review EMBERS! I'm glad that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Anya has a pretty cool power! I'll add this to my wishlist. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I didn't know this series ! It sounds very interesting, I will add it to my wishlist too, thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.