{Review} Lord of the Vampires by Gena Showalter

Lord of the Vampires (Harlequin Nocturne)Lord of the Vampires
Royal House of Shadows: Book 1
By Gena Showalter
Publisher: Harlequin
Release Date: August 30th 2011
Genre: FICTION - ADULT: Paranormal, Fantasy/Science Fiction, Romance,

Once upon a time…the Blood Sorcerer vanquished the kingdom of Elden. To save their children, the queen scattered them to safety and the king filled them with vengeance. Only a magical timepiece connects the four
royal heirs…and time is running out…

Nicolai the Vampire was renowned for his virility, but in a twist of fate “The Dark Seducer” had become a sex slave in the kingdom of Delfina—stripped of his precious timepiece and his memory. All that remained was a primal need for freedom, revenge—and the only woman who could help him.

In her dreams, a wanton vampire called to Jane Parker, drawing her to his dark sexuality and his magical realm. But for a human, all was not a fairy tale in Delfina. Jane was the key to Nicolai’s memory…but exploiting her meant dooming the only mortal he craved.

Review:  Oh My Goodness! So Good! This is a home run for Ms Showalter.
I loved the world building in this book, Ms Showalter did such a great job. Jane jumps from her world to Defina. This is a world of magic, witches, sorcerer, ogres and vampires. I think I found the magic the most interesting. The layers and magic abilities that pop up are really interesting. Nicolai is, wow, intense is the first word that pops into my head. He's totally alpha, protective, hot, and take charge. I loved both these characters. Although Jane's logical thinking did get annoying at times, but the it fits her as she is a scientist. I really like Jane's spirit and strength. She went through a terrible accident and lived to tell about, she draws on this experience time and again to deal with what she has to go through in this new world.
There is a lot of action in this book, and it is definitely not for the faint of heart as Nicolai is out for blood and not just to drink. He is a man on a mission and even though that mission wavers now and again it always seems to end the same way with vengeance. I have to admit I was on the edge my seat for a good portion of this book, and I even contemplated throwing my ereader against the wall when it suddenly froze in a very tense part of the book. Thank goodness I was able to finish the book on my laptop or I might've been really upset. I read it almost straight through and only stopped when I absolutely had too. I really liked the variation of the same old same old vampires, as Nicolai reminded me of the ones from the older books I read in my teen years. Which I haven't seen in books for sometime. I also really liked that there weren't any holes, Ms Showalter's explained everything so that your left feeling satisfied by the end of the book. Strong characters, strong plot this book is a total win.


Disclaimer: I received this book from NetGalley and was not required to provide a review.


Comments