Monday, September 5, 2011

{Review} Murder on the Down Low by Pamela Samuels Youngs

Murder on the Down LowMurder on the Down Low
 by Pamela Samuels Youngs
Publisher: Goldman House
Released: Sept 1, 2008
Genre: Fiction- Adult: Suspense, Legal Thriller, Mystery

A high-profile lawsuit erupts into chaos, revealing its place in a larger spree of violence in this scandalous tale of lust, lies, and vengeance. A brazen gunman is targeting prominent African American men on the streets of Los Angeles, and police are completely baffled. At the same time, savvy big-firm attorney Vernetta Henderson and her outrageous sidekick, Special, lead the charge for revenge against a man whose deceit caused his fianceé's death. For Special, hauling the man into court and suing him for wrongful death just isn’t good enough. While she exacts her own brand of justice, a shocking revelation connects the contentious lawsuit and the puzzling murders.

Review: I'm not usually one for the legal courtroom type thriller/ suspense books, but Murder on the Down Low caught my attention. I think it had a lot to do with that Ms Young, showed all angles of the investigation. Four characters share the spotlight in this book although there are several different points of view used. I did get a little confused at first bouncing between the female characters, but once I figured out the characters personalities it got easier. One point of view you get is from JC a detective on the case looking for the gunman, yet she is more of a secondary character. I actually felt the murders took a back seat to the lawsuit.
Here's a little information, the lawsuit is against Maya's, Specials cousin who died of AIDS, fianceé's who was cheating on her with men and contracted HIV. He never told Maya resulting in her getting it and dieing. There is a lot of information on AIDS and men "on the down low" which is a term used for men who are straight, usually married, and stepping out with other men. I had no idea that's what it meant, I always thought down low meant sneaking around which I guess in a way... Anyway I'm off track.
The book moves along fast, and that's saysomething because it's around 400 pages. I got really pulled into this book, Ms Youngs did a great job of making this feel real, yet kept you entertained. I'm usually bored out of my head by all the legalize in most legal thrillers but I really liked this one. I did figure out who the killer was, but then I always do, although I was almost to the very end before I did. I think Ms Youngs is an author to watch out for, if you like suspense.
Disclaimer:I received this book via the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.