Thursday, September 22, 2011

{Review} Ten Plagues

Ten PlaguesTen Plagues
By: Mary Nealy
Publisher Name: Barbour Publishing, Inc.
Genre: Fiction, ADULT: Mystery, Detective, Suspense & Thrillers: Suspense
 Releases: 10/01/11

A crazed killer invades the streets of Chicago, patterning his murders after the Old Testament’s ten plagues. Detective Keren Collins, gifted with the ability to discern good and evil spirits, is on the case, as is ex-cop, now mission pastor Paul Morris. Can they put their differences aside long enough to catch the maniacal murderer?

Review: I was sorely disappointed with this book, so disappointed that I only got as far as chapter 7 before throwing up my hands and giving up. 
The idea of a ten plagues serial killer was so cool. Keren a police detective has an ability to sense good and/or evil spirits. She's on a case with Paul who is an ex-cop now pastor. There is some bad blood between these two, which add to the intrigue. The plot was moving along really well and I was really getting into the story then the christian concepts started flying around. Ok I'm not really into religion, but one of the main character is a pastor so I let it slide. Also this is the plagues so I figured the killer would be some sort of crazy religious nut. Then the inaccuracies started popping up, usually I can suspend disbelief to get through a book, but for some reason this just rubbed me the wrong way. Paul would've been a suspect right off, pastor /ex cop or not. They brought him on as an adviser, this would be a total conflict of interest, not only that but he would not accompany them to the victims homes or autopsy. I don't care if he was a cop, he's a civilian now. I really didn't read enough to get a feel for a character, which I feel bad about because they seemed like they had a lot of depth and there was a chemistry I was hoping would be explored more. Yet I can't read anymore as not only did the inaccuracies bug me, the typos jolted me completely out of the book.
I was really looking forward to this book. Yet these things just ruined it for me. A complete DNF.

Disclaimer: I received this book from NetGalley and was not required to provide a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...