Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Alternative Treatments for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Second Edition by Mari Skelly , Helen Walker M.A.

Alternative Treatments for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Second Edition
by Mari Skelly , Helen Walker M.A.
Publisher: Hunter House Publishing
Released: January 2007
Genre: Adult- Non-Fiction: Alternative health

Despite the fact that millions suffer from fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome, mainstream medicine has failed to effectively diagnose and treat the complexities of these illnesses. Patients looking for relief often have to turn to alternative treatments, and Alternative Treatments for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome provides the only clear introduction to these modalities, which include:

* naturopathy, homeopathy and Ayurvedic medicine
* movement therapies, such as tai chi, yoga and Feldenkrais
* chiropractic, osteopathy and reflexology
* energetic healing, including Reiki, energy psychology and Quantum Touch™

This second edition contains over 40 percent new information. As in the first edition, over 20 women and men from around the world share their experiences and coping strategies, while as many as 43 experts share knowledge about treatment options and recent discoveries. New sections discuss:

* illnesses that often accompany FM and CFS
* FM- and CFS-friendly exercises
* breakthroughs in drug combining and pain management
* the news about the drugs Mirapex, Requip, and Guaifenesin

Alternative Treatments for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome also includes interviews with physicians who specialize in treating CFS and FM conventionally, a section on dealing with loss and change, and an updated chapter on getting your benefits from Social Security. In addition to helping you to understand the range of your symptoms and giving important information on possible treatments and coping skills, this book will give you a new sense of hope and encouragement.

Review: I got this book because I have a close friend who was diagnosed with fibromyalsia. I wanted to know more about the diesese and treatment for it. I also wanted to know if there was anything I could do to help her.
I found this really informative, while I don't believe in it all, somethings did work. Yoga and aromatherapy are tow that my friend already uses and swears by. Herbal teas are something I use to relieve stress and relax. I've used meditation to relieve migraines. My aunt practices Reiki and I've heard it works, although haven't tried it myself.
I'm skeptical about things like acupuncture and chiropractic therapy. Yet this book gives you enough information to make informed decisions in what treatment will help you. I'll be passing this book on to my friend in hopes it helps her find something that works.

Disclaimer: I received this book via the publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.