Monday, November 21, 2011

{Review} Flawless by Carrie Lofty

Flawless
By Carrie Lofty
Publisher: Pocket Books
Released: September 27, 2011
Genre:  Fiction Adult- Historical Romance

Sir William Christie, ruthless tycoon and notorious ladies’ man, is dead. Now his four grown children have gathered for the reading of his will. What lies in store for stepsiblings Vivienne, Alexander, and twins Gareth and Gwyneth? Stunning challenges that will test their fortitude across a royal empire . . . and lead them to the marvelously passionate adventures of their lives.

Lady Vivienne Bancroft fled England for New York, hoping to shed the confines of her arranged marriage to unrepentant rogue Miles Durham, Viscount Bancroft—though she never forgot the fiery desire he unleashed with his slightest touch. And when the gambling man arrives on her doorstep for a little sensual revenge for her desertion, he is met with Vivienne’s dilemma: She must earn her father’s inheritance by profitably running a diamond business worth millions in colonial South Africa. Swept together in an exotic undertaking filled with heated passion and hungry temptation, will Vivienne and Miles discover that the marriage vows they once made are the greatest snare—or the most treasured reward?

Review: I haven't read a historical romance is a long time. Flawless has reminded me of what I've been missing. Ms Lofty has weaved a tale of love rekindled in of all places Africa in Victorian times.
Vivienne has not only been running from her husband for a year, she been running from her past. She's pulled herself up from the gutters, adopted by her father under a ruse. She has always known what she was and has been trying to outlive it. She's worked twice as hard as any socialite, but has a quick mind and the ability to be so much more than her gender and status allow in this age where men were men and women sat quietly in the tea parlor. I think her father saw this and as I read the book so did Miles, her husband.
Miles was born into nobility and wears it like an old coat. He tosses his name around and likes watching people react. The thing is he's actually reformed, or supposed to be as we get into his and Vivienne's back story yet there is so much more than meets the eye. I was routing for Miles from the get go. He's got a rougeish quality, that just grabbed at me.
I found myself wanting them to get back together, they were just so good together in business and personal. They had chemistry. Every time Vivienne would warm up I'd be like Yay and then Miles would do or say something and she pull away and I'd be like booo. Give him a chance. At time the back and forth did frustrate me, but it always does in romance, yet I guess that's what keeps up on our toes with it.
I feel Ms Lofty did an excellent job with this book, bring two colorful characters back together in a very unique background. This passionate and slightly heart-wrenching tale is only the first in this series, I can't wait to see where she takes us next.

 Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher, it in no way influenced my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.