Friday, November 4, 2011

{Review} Legacy: The Niteclif Evolutions

Title: Legacy: The Niteclif Evolutions
By: Denise Tompkins
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
Released: 10/18/2011
Genre: Adult- Fiction - Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance

Looking back on the wish she made on Midsummer’s Eve, Maddy Niteclif should have been more specific. She only wanted to escape the shadowy nightmares that plagued her nights, not to be thrust into a completely altered reality.

If a strangely familiar, sexy dragon-shifter named Bahlin, who causes a never-to-be-mentioned-again fainting spell, isn’t enough to make her question her sanity, his insistence she’s the Niteclif ought to do the job. Prophesied super-sleuth of the supernatural world—a world that desperately needs her help—isn’t a job she’s remotely qualified for no matter what her family tree says.

Catapulted into a very different London ruled by dark mythology, mystery and murder, Maddy makes a few startling discoveries. Paranormal creatures exist. Getting shot really sucks. And her body responds remarkably well to dragon magic—in more ways than simple wound healing.

But in this kill-or-be-killed world, reality bites. And Maddy must choose to go back to what she knows…or stay and fight for the man she knows she can’t live without.

Warning: This book contains a shape-shifting dragon with a Scottish accent, modern and archaic weapons, global inter-species politics that make democracy seem mild, some very steamy sex underground, a severed head, murder, and…oh yeah…a woman caught in the middle of it all.

Review: This was an interesting yet frustrating book. The concept was different and I enjoyed the characters. Yet Maddy was frustrating. I kept wishing I could reach into the book and slap some sense into her. Her mood swings and irritability just irked me. Yes she had a justifiable reason to be upset. Suddenly put into a world she'd never known existed and told she was some sort of ultimate justice.  But I had to put the book down several times as she just went out of control with anger. In my opinion her attitude needed a major adjustment. I loved Bahlin he was strong protective and had a yummy accent. I felt that Maddy gave him the short end of the stick so to speak. The I hate you then I love you, thing just drove me insane, I was like get over it and pick one already.
The concept that she was the ancestor of Sherlock Holmes and that he was not only real but served mythological creatures was interesting and a new one for me. I really liked the creatures and most of the characters. Ms Tompkins did a great job keeping me guessing and on the edge of my seat, the book is full of twists and turns. I do wish it has focused more on the mystery and not so much the romance, or Maddy's relationships. In the end, the story pulled me in so I felt the need to keep reading and I really wanted to know how everything would turn out.
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from Nurture Book Tours via the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.