Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Book Tour: XOXOXO Guest Post by Bethany Lopez

When I was younger, I wrote Young Adult, because that is what I was reading. When I started writing as an adult, YA just seemed like the most natural fit for me. Now I have two teenage daughters and a teenage son, so when I started writing fiction again, I wanted to appeal to the younger generation. I set my books in Dearborn, Michigan and at Dearborn High, because that is where I went to high school. I had the idea for the first book, Ta Ta for Now! about a year and a half ago. I am the mother of five kids, and the idea of writing the dynamic of a large family appealed to me. The characters develop as I am writing them. They are always growing and changing.

I tend to free write, so I will write in quick bursts. Sometimes my mind moves faster than my hands can type, so I have to go back and check for mistakes. I don’t edit as I write, I like to wait until the book is complete. Once I have corrected everything I can, I send it to my editor to fix the mistakes that I have missed. Then I review the proofs, before finalizing the novel. I think a lot about the plot and the storylines for each character. When I write, I write in spurts and then I stop for a while to think about what will happen next. Sometime it turns out differently than I had originally planned.


TGIF:Okay, it’s the Friday before Spring Break, and I just wanted to write a little before school. Now that I have a new journal, I want to make sure I am using it. I really enjoyed writing last time, I don’t know why I stopped, but I am eager to get back into writing.
We are gearing up for a fantastic Spring Break! It is still only about 60 degrees here in April, but compared to what it has been, it will feel like a heat wave! Jess, Jimmy, and I plan to hang out at each other’s houses (Jimmy’s is the best, because he is an only child, and they have a Wii, air hockey and a pool table in the basement), go to the movies, and hang out outside as much as possible. And maybe take some cool pictures for Yearbook.
I spent some time with my Mom last night. She was hungry, so I got her some Rocky Road ice cream and sat down in the den with her while she ate. We talked a little bit about the baby.
I am sooo ready for this baby to come out!” She said as she spooned the ice cream into her mouth. “It feels like I have been pregnant forever and I am just so tired. I cannot wait to see my feet again!”
You should be an old pro at this Mom.” I said with a smile. “It’s not exactly your first time!” I picked up her foot and began to rub it.
Oh my gosh! That feels wonderful, Mis.” She sighed, closing her eyes a little. “This is nothing like any of my other pregnancies. It has been a lot harder. I was so sick the first few months, and now I am tired and everything aches. Since the baby is still breech, I have to go in Monday so the doctor can try to turn the baby. I am really not looking forward to that!”
I know, but I am sure everything will be fine. And before you know it, we will have another rug rat running around the house.” I grabbed her other foot and started massaging it. I have gotten pretty good at this over the years. My Mom’s feet always swell and hurt when she is pregnant.
This weekend Dad will finish putting the crib and changing table and stuff up in Monica’s room, so it will start to feel more like the end is near,” my Mom said with a slight smile. “Monica is not too happy about sharing her room, but the baby will be in the bassinet in our room for the first few months, so it shouldn’t be too much of a change for her right away.”
We talked a little while longer until my Dad came in and took over foot massage duty. It was nice talking to Mom for a bit; I know once the baby comes it will be hard for me to get any time alone with her. It has been like that every time, so I know what to expect, but I miss her during those first few months. It’s funny because we are in the same house together, and she is home on maternity leave, so you would think I would get to see her more, but that is never the case. Babies just take up so much time, and Mom is always exhausted. I know I will be expected to step up and do more around the house. I really do want to make life easier for her, but to be honest, it sucks!
xoxoxo



Bethany Lopez was born in Detroit, Michigan, and grew up in Michigan and San Antonio, Texas. She went to High School at Dearborn High, in Dearborn, Michigan, which is where she has set her Young Adult novel. She is married and has a blended family with five children. She is currently serving in the United States Air Force as a Recruiter in Los Angeles, California. She has always loved to read and write and has seen her dream realized by independently publishing her first novel through Amazon with CreateSpace and Kindle Direct Publishing. Ta Ta for Now! is also now available through Smashwords at Barnes and Noble.com, on the Nook, and the Sony eReader. Her second novel in the series, xoxoxo, will be released on March 2, 2012.
@bethanylopez2

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.