Thursday, March 15, 2012

{Book Review} Lying Season (Experiment in Terror #4) By Karina Halle

Lying Season (Experiment in Terror #4)
By Karina Halle
Publisher: Metal Blonde Books
Released: December 13th 2011
Genre:Fiction- YA with adult themes- Horror

Ama­teur ghost hunter Perry Palomino has bat­tled ghosts, fought off skin­walk­ers and skirted the fine line between life and death. But can she sur­vive bunk­ing down in Seat­tle for a week with her partner (and man she secretly loves) Dex and his perfect girl­friend, Jennifer? And can she do so while being tor­mented by a mali­cious spirit from Dex’s increas­ingly shady past? With love and life in the bal­ance, Perry must dis­cover the truth among the lies or risk los­ing every­thing she's ever cared about.

Review: I don't think I've been so addicted to a series since I read the Xanth series in high school. Ms Halle write a very emotionally charged book this time, with a cliff hanger that has me biting my nails waiting for the next installment.
This book was more character driven in my opinion. I liked seeing Perry interact with people outside her family and Dex. I also noticed that in the book you really get a feel for how much Perry has grown and matured. Yet there's still a witty cynicism to her. On the other hand I think Dex backpedaled a couple years in the maturity department. I also lost a lot of respect for him as a character. Although a few more pieces of the puzzle that is Dex are revealed. Another main player in this book is Jennifer, Dex's girlfriend. While I really disliked her, I also felt kind of bad for her. Dex and Perry seem to have a connection through their mutual "talent" and similar traumatic backgrounds, that Jenn could never hope to have let alone understand. Not to mention, I was already biased against her from reading the previous books. Mainly because I want Dex and Perry together, because they make a cute although slightly crazy couple.
The relationship drama is broken with a trip to a haunted asylum, which I was a little disappointed in as I expected it to be scarier. Also there is the arrival of a competitive ghost hunting team. And an angry ghost who's haunting Dex.
Now I need to mention, once again this series is labeled YA by the author, but I really don't think anyone under 17yrs should read this book. Just my own opinion.
All in all another 'I don't want to put this book down' segment in this series.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.