Friday, March 30, 2012

{Reviews} My Life As a White Trash Zombie (White Trash Zombie #1) by Diana Rowland

My Life As a White Trash Zombie (White Trash Zombie #1)
by Diana Rowland
Publisher: DAW
Released: July 5th 2011
Genre: Fiction: Urban Fantasy, Zombies
How I got it: Bought the book

Angel Crawford is a loser

Living with her alcoholic deadbeat dad in the swamps of southern Louisiana, she's a high school dropout with a pill habit and a criminal record who's been fired from more crap jobs than she can count. Now on probation for a felony, it seems that Angel will never pull herself out of the downward spiral her life has taken.

That is, until the day she wakes up in the ER after overdosing on painkillers. Angel remembers being in an horrible car crash, but she doesn't have a mark on her. To add to the weirdness, she receives an anonymous letter telling her there's a job waiting for her at the parish morgue—and that it's an offer she doesn't dare refuse.

Before she knows it she's dealing with a huge crush on a certain hunky deputy and a brand new addiction: an overpowering craving for brains. Plus, her morgue is filling up with the victims of a serial killer who decapitates his prey—just when she's hungriest!

Angel's going to have to grow up fast if she wants to keep this job and stay in one piece. Because if she doesn't, she's dead meat.

Literally.

Review: I absolutely loved this book!
Angel was anything but, she was spunky, sassy yet had flaws. I liked that Ms Rowland made Angel white trashy but didn't break over into stereotypes. Oh and the beer can drive way was a good touch.  Yes Angel drank to much, did drugs and was a general screw up, but then she gets turned into a zombie.
Her guardian zombie changes her, gets her a job at the morgue (so she has access to brains) and gives her a head start with some energy drinks (brain flavored).
I found myself wanting Angel to get a handle on her life, even though she was reluctant and pretty set in her ways. It took baby steps and a good portion of the book is her learning that she's not what she thinks she is and can be better if she puts her mind to it. Like Angel I wanted to know who had turned her into a zombie, but there was also the little issue of a serial killer taking peoples heads. So there were several levels to the plot of this book. First was Angel changing and turning herself around, which was a great journey in itself. Second there was the serial killer taking heads. I kind of got what was going on with this but not who. The who dun-it part was a huge surprise, actually for both plot lines. As figuring out who changed Angel was a mystery as well. I totally didn't see either of the answers and it shocked me a little.
This was a great book and I can't wait for book 2.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Great, I was wondering about this book, and I think now I really need to try it. Great review!


    here is mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely give this one a 4.5 stars out of 5. Being a fan of the police procedural and the urban fantasy that might have colored my opinion, but in those aspects it really shone.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...