Book Tour: ReVamped Guest Post by Ada Adams


One of the main settings of the novel is a fictional little US town by the name of Angel Creek. Since the entire series has taken on the name “Angel Creek”, I thought it would be fun to tell you about how I came up with it.
For ReVamped’s setting, I had a few “must haves”:
I always knew that I wanted to set the story in a small town in the United States—the kind of place that looks beautiful and well-kept, but only has one of everything (one diner, one general store, one post office, one school, etc.). I’m drawn to the charm of small towns, because I have lived in a large city all my life.
I also wanted the setting to be located somewhere on the Northeastern side of the United States. The geography in that area suited the story well and featured environmental characteristics I was most familiar with. In addition, the little town had to be secluded and far away from any large cities.
It was essential that the town had a long history. In fact, I needed it to date all the way back to the 1800’s!
Also, I really wanted a pretty gazebo. Before the story of the gazebo’s importance in “ReVamped” was even fully plotted out, I already knew that there was going to be a gazebo. Why? I like gazebos! :) They are beautiful and timeless, and can evoke feelings of romance and peace. Of course, a structure like that was essential to combat the tragedy that had happened at the inn near the gazebo.
By this time, the look and feel of the entire town was vividly imprinted in my mind, and I set out to write a detailed description of this fictional town, which was the skeleton of what Dawn sees when she visits Angel Creek for the first time:
Following the directions on my GPS, I finally turned my black convertible off of the deserted highway and onto an unmarked dirt road. The path traversed through a thick forest, continuing on without an end in sight. I was beginning to consider the possibility that my GPS had misled me, when the trees suddenly opened up, revealing a picturesque little town within a large valley. Quaint and charming, Angel Creek was smaller than I had anticipated it to be, yet it had a compelling, almost dazzling, presence. Everything about it—from the unusual cobblestone sidewalks to the pristine architecture—was stark-white.”
---
Main Street, Angel Creek’s largest street, held all of the town’s most significant buildings—the small but majestic town hall, the library and post office, the medical offices and law firms, a grocery store, no less than five antique shops which paradoxically boasted the latest fashions, and a few mystery buildings without any signs to suggest their functions. Further up the road, on top of a small hill, I spied a wide, one-story schoolhouse. Beside it was a church; its grand bell tower, soared high toward the clouds.”
---
The most striking site in the entire town was the renowned Angel Creek Park. According to my brief research, the only information that I could find about Angel Creek was regarding its historic park and the white gazebo that the town founder, Henry Hamilton, had built for his bride, Angelica. According to the records, the gazebo was the first structure to be erected on the land. It had stood the test of weather and time since 1805, staying in place even after the creek that once ran next to it had dried up.”
Even though I had created the perfect town in my mind and on the computer screen, I still needed a name. Since the town was completely fictional, I wanted to come up with a name that not only sounded distinct and fictional, but was also not commonly found on a US map.
While struggling with the perfect name, I took a quick plotting break to Google “gazebo” inspirations. I had a very distinct vision of beautiful park grounds with a white wooden gazebo and a pointy grey roof. I’m not sure what my exact search-terms were, but I found this picture:
 Now, while this is a cute little white gazebo with a grey roof, the image didn’t really speak to me. The picture shows some houses behind it, and I really wanted the gazebo to be in the middle of the park next to the striking inn, so in a way, this gazebo didn’t fit the description of ReVamped’s gazebo at all. However, something urged me to click on the picture.
What happened next, will probably sound completely fabricated. All I can say is that it did actually happen and that I’m not making it up. I was quickly shown images of Angelica, NY; images that made me all giddy inside and gave me goosebumps:
     
Gazebo? Check!
Inn? Check!
Only one of everything (one diner, one post office, one church, one school)? Check! Check! Check! Check!
Many antique shops? Check! (Angelica’s antique stores even sell wedding dresses!)
A town hall with a clock? Check!
A bridge? What? Really? Check!
Small town? Check! Angelica has a population of around 1000. Angel Creek boasts a population of 900 and 5 vampires.
Long history? Check! Angelica was first settled in 1802 and the town was founded in 1805. Angel Creek was also founded in 1805, which is super creepy because before it even had a name it had the est. date of 1805. Goosebumps, right?!
On the Northeastern side of the US? Check!
In the middle of nowhere? It’s not as isolated as Angel Creek, but it’s still fairly secluded, so: Check!
Main St.? Check! Okay, most small towns have a Main St., but still – extra points!
All of this aside, I didn’t really see Angel Creek (or what was my Unnamed ReVamped Town at that point) as Angelica (and to be clear, I still don’t). The architecture in Angel Creek is different (more Neoclassically-inspired than Angelica’s structures – although, I have to say some of those pictures kind of surprised me). Angel Creek is also smaller and the buildings are clustered around two main streets, while my online exploration of Angelica showed the town to be more dispersed in that sense. Still, the similarities were striking.
So how did Angelica, NY inspire ReVamped’s setting? While it didn’t inspire the physical setting in any way since I already had that, it did inspire the name. Since the two towns were so similar in so many ways, I decided to draw on Angelica for Angel Creek’s namesake.
I didn’t want to call it Angelica, as I still wanted the town to be fictional (in fact, I should probably take a moment to state loudly and clearly that all similarities between Angelica and Angel Creek are completely coincidental and you probably shouldn’t go searching for Dawn, Sebastian or the gang in Angelica, NY). Although, if you want to visit, I’m sure they would like some tourism!
What I did love about Angelica’s name was the word Angel and decided to use it. But, Angel What? Angel Falls? Nope. There are too many “Falls” settings out there. Angel Lake? Well, my fictional little town didn’t have a lake. Originally, it was supposed to, but it wasn’t very fitting and the lake ended up getting cut from the setting. Angel WHAT?! At this point, I was about to give up on the whole “Angel” thing, because everything was starting to sound so cheesy, but then I noticed that Angelica had a gorgeous creek running through the town. CreekCreekAngel CREEK!
And that’s how ReVamped’s fictional little setting of Angel Creek was born! If you have read the book, you know that there is no creek in Angel Creek anymore. It had dried up by 2015, although it does make a brief appearance during a flashback of sorts.
Some interesting tidbits about Angel Creek which give homage to Angelica:
Angelica was named after Angelica Schuyler Church, Alexander Hamilton’s sister-in-law (the Founding Father!) and wife of Angelica’s founder John Barker Church. Angel Creek was named after Angelica Hamilton, the wife of Angel Creek founder Henry Hamilton and Sebastian York’s great-grandmother.
Angelica’s town motto is: A Town Where History Lives.
Angel Creek’s town motto is. A Place Where History Resides. (For many reasons – puns intended).
So that’s the story of how one of the main settings in Angel Creek received its name! Perhaps one day, I will have a chance to visit the gazebo in Angelica. Wouldn’t that be cool?
*Once again, I wish to restate that ReVamped’s setting and its characters are completely fictional. Any similarities between Dawn Fairchild in ReVamped and one that has lived, lives, or will live in Angelica are completely coincidental. I promise! But…if your name is Sebastian York or Ethan Summers and you live in Angelica, feel free to call me! ;)
Angelica, NY Info and Photo Links:
www.angelica-ny.net
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelica,_New_York

Thank you very much for having me on your blog today! I hope you enjoyed getting to know about Angel Creek!

Happy reading!
Ada Adams

ReVamped
By Ada Adams

Blurb:

Nineteen-year-old vampire Dawn has led a sheltered life within the confines of her father’s presidential headquarters. Upon being sent on a mission to revamp four goofy misfits into guardians of a peaceful little town of Angel Creek, Dawn believes that all her dreams have finally come true. What starts off as a simple task, turns into something unexpected, changing Dawn’s life forever and leading the action-loving, thrill-seeking vampire teen on a path of mystery, danger and intrigue.

When a human girl is kidnapped by a group of rogue vamps, Dawn discovers that there is more going on in Angel Creek than meets the eye. And it all connects to Ethan, the cute newcomer who seems too perfect to be true, Sebastian, the mysterious vampire with a turbulent past, and even Dawn herself. Dawn must not only succeed in revamping the troubled recruits, but must also prevent the vampire race from being overtaken by a malevolent villain who has a strange and obsessive fascination with her. As threat escalates, romance blooms, and ghosts from her past begin to surface, Dawn is sure of only one thing: her life will never be the same.


Excerpt One:

PROLOGUE

A sharp, searing pain pierced through my chest as I watched the guy I liked—the guy I was falling in love with—kiss another girl. With every fiber of my being, I willed myself to look away, my vision blurring in a desperate attempt to escape the agonizing scene before me. My body failed to obey; my gaze remained firmly glued to the couple.
Powerless, I surrendered to the nightmare, for a brief moment allowing myself to imagine that his muscular arms were, in fact, embracing me. After all, the girl’s face, with its pale complexion, high cheekbones, straight nose and cupid-bow lips, was identical to mine. Her glossy brown hair cascaded down her back, each loose wave perfectly matching my own. Even her slender body curved in precisely the same places. Looking at her was like gazing into the smooth, reflective surface of a moving, breathing mirror.
She was me.
Or was I her?
She fluttered open her long, dark lashes, and pulling me out of the fantasy, revealed the one perceptible difference between us: her emerald green eyes. While hauntingly beautiful, they looked nothing at all like my pale violet ones. She stared directly at me, tightening her grip on the only person in the world I had ever wanted to be with—mocking me for being too late.
Aurora,” he whispered in her ear.
In that instant, I knew with certainty that he was not thinking about me.

About the Author:

"Many people sing in the shower. I, on the other hand, write scenes in my head and act them out."

At age five, Ada read her first chapter book - Pippi Longstocking. Ever since that moment, she developed an intense passion for the stories and characters found within the pages of literature.

In her career as an actress and a writer, Ada currently spends most of her days immersed in imaginary worlds. Much like the characters she enjoys playing and writing about, Ada is a martial artist with a Black Belt in Shotokan Karate. She is also a big proponent of lifelong learning, and has attained Bachelor of Arts in Psychology (it aids in creating characters with unique quirks!) as well as a Master's of Science in Education.

Ada strives to bring a fresh voice and perspective to fiction. She has been writing creatively for many years. "ReVamped" is her debut novel.

She lives in Toronto, Canada, and enjoys adventurous nature hikes with her adorable puppies Cara and Oreo.







Ms Adams is offering a Kindle copy of ReVamped to enter to win your own copy below. Just fill out the form. Giveaway Ends 5/4/12





 

Comments

  1. Hi Shandy!

    Thank you very much for having "ReVamped" on your blog today. I enjoyed stopping by!

    Have a lovely day!
    Ada A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vampire books are usually bloody and dark and nightmare-inducing. But ReVamped focuses more on the fun side of vampires, which is one reason why I adored it so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.