Thursday, April 26, 2012

Interview with Boo Walker

Hi Boo, Tell us a little bit about yourself and your writing?
I used to play banjo and write songs for a living in Nashville, and in 2001, started having some hand problems that ended my career.  After a quarter-life crisis of sorts, I went back to finish college and got into computers and started working for a day-trading firm.  But I couldn't shake this urge to create.  I remember finishing Plum Island by Nelson Demille and thinking, "I have to write a book.  I can do this," and that's how it started.  I loved the character driven style of Demille in creating John Corey, who I still think is one of the best characters in fiction of all time.  So my journey began.  The first one takes a while.   It's like learning an instrument, the whole 10,000 hours thing.  I tossed more drafts out than I can remember but eventually it started to make a little more sense.  Like learning the banjo or writing songs, once you get past learning the technique, which is a must, then you can work on finding your muse and learning how to tap in.  All I want to do in my writing is take you away for a little while, with a captivating fictional world and some characters you'd die to meet.

What type of books do you enjoy?
The kind that I can't put down.  Unless I'm really in the mood, I like something that I don't have to work too hard at.  Something that will grab me ten pages in and give me no choice as to how I'm going to spend the next couple of days.  I'm like that with movies too.  There is something so magical and artistic about make-believe.  Getting lost in a fictional world, forgetting everything that was heavy on your mind only moments before.  Then waking up hours later.  That's what I enjoy.

Who's your favorite author? Other than yourself of course. *Grin*
At the moment, Harlan Coben and he just keeps getting better and better.  His books are the definition of a page-turner.  Of course Nelson Demille.  Pat Conroy, John D. McDonald, George R.R. Martin, and Ernest Hemingway also have very special places in my heart.  


What made you want to write or be a writer?
There's something so satisfying in putting your heart and soul into something and sharing it with the world.

What was it about this book that made you want to write it?
I've loved Charleston all my life, long before I went to college here, and the chance to show the world why is certainly a reason.  It's such a good backdrop for a thriller.  Apropos the DEA and cocaine, it's probably my obsession with Miami Vice seeping out unconsciously.  Over the past few years, Charleston has gotten a lot of press about certain high society individuals and their lavish lifestyles being ripped apart by cocaine.  It saddens and fascinates me.

What's your favorite thing about TA Reddick, the main character of Lowcountry Punch?
How the women is his life haunt him.  He has a ton of love to give but everything keeps getting in the way.

What would your ideal career be, if you couldn't be an author?
I'd love to own a Bed and Breakfast on a vineyard.  My wife and I could spend every day together, cooking, gardening, farming, making wine, and showing people a good time.  Seems pretty fantastic.  That or get involved with the movies.  I love Hollywood.

Is there anything special you would like to share with the readers about Lowcountry Punch or yourself?
I've always told my wife and mother that I write love stories, and they laugh at me in disagreement.  But in the end, I still stand by what I say.  Skin it down to the bones and I'm just a writer of love stories that happen to be covered up with lots of good action and suspense.

Thank you very much for joining me today. 


After one of the worst nights of his life, DEA Agent T.A. Reddick leaves Miami for Charleston, South Carolina, hoping a return to his roots will heal a wounded heart and the guilt of killing a friend. The sleepy and sultry city of Charleston is filled with echoes of the Old South: genteel playboys, society debutantes, and quiet cobblestone streets. But as Reddick will soon discover, there's danger lurking under her charming veneer. When a movie star's death shines a national spotlight on Charleston's underground cocaine trade, he must go undercover to find the main supplier and shut him down. As a hurricane bears down on the port city and the DEA gets ready to spring its trap, Reddick must contend with more than he ever could have imagined.

Brash and bold, TA Reddick is a hero you won’t soon forget. Lowcountry Punch is an action-packed novel that will have you on your knees begging for more.

 (http://www.boowalker.com/)
 

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...