Wednesday, May 9, 2012

{Review} First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson #1) by Darynda Jones

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson #1)
by Darynda Jones
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Released:February 1st 2011
Genre: Fiction- Adult: Paranormal Suspense
How I got it: Bought it

A smashing, award-winning debut novel that introduces Charley Davidson: part-time private investigator and full-time Grim Reaper.
Charley sees dead people. That’s right, she sees dead people. And it’s her job to convince them to “go into the light.” But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (i.e. murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she’s been having about an Entity who has been following her all her life...and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely.
This is a thrilling debut novel from an exciting newcomer to the world of paranormal romantic suspense.

Review: I really liked this book. I can't claim to love it, because parts bugged me. I liked the murder mystery plot line. Having the ghosts help solve their own murders, was pretty neat. Charley is a cool character, she's a grim reaper, private investigator, and consultant for the cops. She's tough yet compassionate, funny and sassy, basically a great main character.
But I didn't like the side plot with Reyes. I was sort of routing for Garrett, the hunky cop, to be her love interest. Instead it turned out to be the bad boy. I really wasn't impressed with the end and who Reyes turned out to be.
It was a good story and very funny, I laughed out loud several times. I'm interested in seeing where book 2 goes.

1 comment:

  1. glad you enjoyed this one. I think I prefered the two others that were really amazing but I really liked this one as well. great review! I hope it will be the same for you for book 2 and 3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.