Tuesday, June 5, 2012

{Review} First Visions (Second Sight #1) by Heather Topham Wood

First Visions (Second Sight #1)
by Heather Topham Wood  
Publisher: Self- Smashwords
Released: May 1st 2012
Genre: Fiction- YA: Paranormal Romantic Suspense
How I got it: From author via RABT


Two years ago, 21-year-old Kate Edwards became deathly ill and slipped into a coma. While unconscious, she crept into the mind of a missing boy and awoke with the knowledge of his location. Friends and family were skeptical and wary of her new ability to see into the minds of others. Their fears prompted Kate to keep her psychic powers a secret. Feeling alienated, she dropped out of college and spent most of her days holed up at her mother’s home. 
Now another child has been abducted. Police detective Jared Corbett seeks out Kate for her help in solving the case. Reluctantly, Kate agrees and they must work together to bring 8-year-old Cori Preston home to her family. Although attracted to one another, Jared has a girlfriend with ties to the abduction case and Kate is sarcastic and guarded since her coma. With visions she can’t control and an uncontrollable attraction to the detective, she wonders if she can leave the past behind and finally stop hiding from the world. Otherwise, Cori may be lost forever. 

Review: Kate is a reluctant medium who's pulled into this missing persons case by Jared, a desperate police detective. In my eyes there were two main plot lines here, 1 the missing persons case 2 Kate and Jared's romantic issues. Plot 1 I enjoyed, plot 2 I had issues with. Plot 1 was intriguing, pulled me into the book and was basically the soul reason I kept reading to find out if they find Cori. 
I wasn't crazy about the characters in this book, Kate was immature she blames everything on her being in a coma. While that in itself wasn't bad and could've been a great point to use, I don't feel the author used it to her advantage as much as making it Kate's excuse. Kate knows shes immature but blames it on being emotionally stunted when she came out of the coma. Um... what? She was in college living in a dorm when she went into the coma, so I would've assume she would be above the age of 16 which is how she came across to me. Her tough girl attitude was all a front, because of what she went through when she woke up and helped with a previous case. 
Yet to me Kate was just full of contradiction.  She's holed herself up in the house, that part was totally understandable, yet she wasn't a complete shut-in going outside to work, party occasionally with her friend. She's angry with her father for leaving her and her mom for another women, yet has only a passing problem with trying to steal another girls guy. Granted the other girl is a super witch, but still. 
Jared I didn't get either, he's heading the investigation to find his girlfriend's sister. Which is a conflict of interest to begin with, but I usually give these things a pass since they are so prevalent in fiction. He wants to be the good guy, yet can tell him and Nikki, his girlfriend, are having issues. During a very tragic time for Nikki he starts flirting with Kate, yeah there was a small spark but still. This really isn't the best time to be feeling out someone new. While I didn't like what Nikki does, she's totally justified. 
To me the whole relationship aspect wasn't great, other than understanding her outsiderness I didn't get Jared's attraction to Kate. 
I feel this could have been a really good book if the characters had been worked with more. They needed to be fleshed out more and fine tuned. I think Ms Wood did a good job with the suspense aspect although I wish she had focused more on that, giving us more clues so we could work it out. Yet still good. I might be being a little to critical about this book yet this is how is appeared to me, my suggestion check it out and make your own decision. 







*Disclosure of Material Connection: I am a member of Reading Addiction Blog Tours and a copy of this book was provided to me by the author. Although payment may have been received by Reading Addiction Blog Tours, no payment was received by me in exchange for this review. There was no obligation to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, publisher, publicist, or readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision’s 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning Use of Endorcements and Testimonials in Advertising*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...