Thursday, June 28, 2012

{Review} Vigilare by Brooklyn James

Vigilare
by Brooklyn James
Publisher: Self
Released:October 12th 2011
Genre: Fiction-Adult: Paranormal, Suspense, Thriller
How I got it: Received a copy from the author

Where One System Fails, Another Never Gives Up!
Detectives Gina DeLuca and Tony Gronkowski investigate a string of murders among Vanguard's most loathsome population, rapists and pedophiles. With fed up citizens, the city is on the verge of a vigilante uprising in support of their seemingly superhuman Vigilare with the sparkling emerald green eyes.
Friend or foe, Vanguard Police Department has a job to do in bringing the vigilant one to justice, causing their own internal battle with right and wrong, immoral and just. Following their leads, Detectives DeLuca and Gronkowski find themselves pulled into a mysterious world of super blood and super powers, and closer to the Vigilare than ever expected.
It's a race to the finish between Detectives DeLuca and Gronkowski and the Vigilare to figure out who she is and why she exists. The first series in a Trilogy. Vigilare-the one who watches over-comes to light.

Advisory: In order to be true to content and characters, some scenes contain harsh language and attempted rape/physical violence. Such scenes are handled with care and tact in propelling the prevailing storyline.

Review: This book is not fore everyone. There are several scenes that could make certain people uncomfortable. While the scenes are handled with tact, they are explicit and in some cases violent. 
With that said, the plot pulls you in. There is a lot of action, it's very fast paced which I felt added to the story. I found the mystery behind the vigilante to be the driving force for me to reach the end. I had several suspicions but was surprised by the reveal. As a fan of super heroes and vigilante comics and movies, this book was right up my alley. With the vast majority of vigilantes being male it was kind of refreshing to see a female. While the main characters are really the vigilante, Gina and Tony there is a lot of head hopping into other character views. It was interesting getting the different view points but over all confusing. I really wish Ms Jame had denounced when she was going to change point of view as there were times I was reading along and became utterly confuse because I didn't know who's head I was in. I liked the chemistry and play between Tony and Gina they worked well together as characters, not so well in their respective roles. Partnering two head strong alphas probably not the chief's best idea. Procedure when right out the window and I had to stop myself from yelling, "She's destroying the crime scene" at one point. In this aspect it's more like a gritty movie than a crime novel. Through out the book I kept picturing a dark dirty city as the book has that feel to it.
The court room section is a little down hearting but Ms James does a good job of keeping you reading just to see what happens. Basically I was on the edge of my seat for most the book. If you're a fan of Batman, V, or Sin City then you'll probably enjoy this book.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.