Friday, July 6, 2012

Book Tour: Murder in Silence Guest Post by Gary Kassay


First I would like to thank Shandy Sanford from Mama Knows Books for inviting me to her blog. It is an honor to be included here and I thank Shandy for the opportunity.
The first of the Duke Becker series, Murder in Silence, is being released on 07-05-12. Let me give you a little background on myself and the inspiration for Inspector Duke Becker. Back in 1982 I was in training with the New York Transit Police Department for the Canine Unit. The training was intense and probably the best time I ever had. One day an event occurred and I immediately thought to myself what a great plot for a book! (No, I am not going to tell you what that event was…it would spoil everything.) In any case, I thought about that book till 2004, 22 years of developing the plot, characters and dialogue. The result is Murder in Silence and the sequels that will follow. Here is a small sample from Murder in Silence…I hope you enjoy it!
On my way home, there had been some guy in a red MG
trying to stay behind me all the way from the bridge to the exit
before my home. It hadn’t really bothered me, just something that
made me curious. Cops tend to notice things that are out of the
ordinary. Then again, there were plenty of drivers that would try to
get right behind a cop car, fire engine, or ambulance just to make
better time.
I did one more check in the mirror before I left my home. I
had changed into black shoes, black slacks, a gray turtleneck, and a
black sport coat. For a second I thought that maybe I was laying on
the black too much. Better get under control here, Duke, I thought. Now
you’re checking your wardrobe like a woman.
Grabbing my gun, cuffs, and shield, I ran out to my car,
doing my quick check of the neighborhood.
MURDER IN SILENCE
93
Old habits die hard.
All the usual cars were parked in the driveways of my
neighbors’ homes, none of the homes that were usually lit were
dark, and I didn’t see anyone hanging around out of the ordinary.
Liz’s apartment was located uptown, so I figured my best
route would be to take the Cross Island into the Grand Central, then
onto the 59th Street Bridge into Manhattan. Traffic was light, so I
didn’t hit the lights or siren again.
I glanced into the rearview mirror. Sitting about two cars
back was the red MG. Once was nothing, but twice wasn’t a
coincidence. I had no idea who might want to follow me, but
whoever it was, was no genius. A red MG was about as
inconspicuous as an Arab Sheik getting on a plane at JFK.
Keeping him in sight, I continued to drive normally so as not
to tip him off. After merging onto the Grand Central, I came up
with a plan. A few miles up the road was the exit for Francis Lewis
Boulevard, which just happened to be where Highway Patrol was
located.
I eased over to the right lane and even signaled that I was
getting off. The red MG took the bait and was now behind me,
holding back a bit, but with no other cars between us.
When I got to the stop sign at the end of the exit, I jammed
on the brakes, turning my car to block the road, and jumped out. I
pulled out my gun and raced toward the MG, which had nowhere
to go. The driver’s side window was down, and I pointed my gun at
the driver.
“Out!” I yelled.

Two police officers have been brutally killed by having their throats ripped out, but the wound appears to have been done with surgical precision. With no witnesses, no forensic evidence, and two bizarre clues to follow, the case falls to Inspector Duke Becker, head of the high profile Special Investigations Unit, Homicide.
Becker and his squad must find the killer before more cops are murdered. The case will lead Becker on a wild chase through the streets of New York City, back over 15 years into the past and to a cover-up that will rock City Hall.
Along with his brash, wildly dressed young partner, Jimmy Nova, the beautiful Michelle Goldman, Augie “Doggie” Rivera, and the Mutt and Jeff team of Bobby Green and Joe Robinson, Becker will need to enlist his boyhood friend in charge of CSU, Manny Velez.
Add a ruthless newswoman known to the NYPD as “”Wicked Witch Wilson” and a new love interest for Becker in the gorgeous and brilliant Dr. Elizabeth Cunningham, Becker is about to embark on the most difficult and dangerous case in his 20 plus years. Will Becker and his squad be able to catch the killer before more cops die or will the killer have the last laugh?
Gary Kassay, author of the Duke Becker Series, is a former member of the NYPD Transit K-9 Unit. Besides a career as a Police Officer, he has been the owner of a commercial photo company, an X-ray tech for humans and animals, and a TSA employee. He now resides in Casper, Wyoming with his wife Raella, three dogs, and one black cat.  

When Gary is not working on the next installment of his Duke Becker series, he enjoys spending quiet times with his wife, writing the Duke Becker series, reading, and when there isn't snow on the ground, a good round of golf.


2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read Gary's book! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Duke Becker series sounds fascinating and I'll be reading it very soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...