Book Tour: Devil’s Mountain Guest Post By Bernadette Walsh


HAS WRITING RUINED YOUR READING EXPERIENCE? By Bernadette Walsh

After writing fast and furious for these past three years, a few months ago I found myself a bit “idea challenged.” So I decided to take a month off from writing, allow my muse to collect herself and just enjoy my first love, reading. When I’m in the midst of a writing jag I generally avoid reading fiction because I sometimes feel that it can interfere with the flow and cadence of my own writing. But since I was on a writing sabbatical, I was really looking forward to sinking my teeth into some good books.
So I downloaded a very popular historical romance that my sister suggested. The novel will go unnamed but I will give you a hint-- it involves a certain sinking ship. Anyway, I downloaded the book, paid in the double digits for it (!!), settled into my favorite reading spot and was ready to enjoy.
Within three pages our heroine looked in the mirror and noticed her shiny chestnut hair. Wait a minute! Isn’t looking in the mirror and describing yourself one of the writers’ cardinal sins? Isn’t it the mark of an amateur? What is THAT doing in my very fancy double-digit, traditionally published e-book?
I calmed myself, dear blog-reader, and returned to my much anticipated book. But instead of losing myself in the author’s world of tragedy and romance I kept noticing things that four years ago would’ve slid right by me. How the dialogue was just a wee bit choppy. How certain scenes were a little heavy on the “tell” and a little light on the “show.”  How the characters in the time before phones never mind cell phones always just “happened” to find each other in the busy Manhattan streets.
“Ignore it!” I scolded myself. “Just enjoy your book.” And I did enjoy it when I finally forced myself to go with the flow and stop nitpicking it. But I didn’t enjoy it as much as I would have before I caught this writing bug.
I love being a writer but my first love will always be reading. I hope I can turn off the scolding writer’s voice in my head next time I want to indulge in a little light reading.  How about you, fellow writers? Has learning the tricks of the writing trade impacted your ability to enjoy reading?

Devil’s Mountain
By Bernadette Walsh
Book One of the Devlin Legacy
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Horror
Publisher: Lyrical Press
ISBN: 9781616503697
Number of pages: 122
Word Count: 39,000
Blurb/Book Description:
You will hate Him for all that he's taken, but you will love Him. God help you, you will love Him.

Mary Devlin accepted her fate years ago, to serve Slanaitheoir, the mountain spirit who saved her ancestors from the Irish Famine. The hauntingly beautiful woman submitted to His every caress, His every humiliation, but He’s gone too far by threatening her family.

Mary’s daughter-in-law is now an unwitting pawn in the fickle spirit’s game. Mary must challenge her fate and that of all future Devlin women, but Slanaitheoir is the most powerful being in the land. And when part of her still yearns for His touch and love, how can she fight him and win?


About the Author
Long Bio
I have always been a bookworm and had always meant to write a novel “someday.” You know, when I won the lottery and could live in beach house and look out onto the water and feel inspired. Four years ago I decided to stop waiting for my winning lottery ticket and sat down and started writing in between work and family obligations, I piled the words on top of each other until they formed sentences, paragraphs, chapters and eventually a book. My first book, a contemporary romance, Gold Coast Wives, was published in November 2011. The House on Prospect is my second novel. The first book of my paranormal trilogy, Devil’s Mountain -- Book One of the Devlin Legacy, was published in June 2012. While I’ve hopped around genres, all of my books to date have a common theme: strong women handling what life throws at them the best way they can.

@BWalshWriter Twitter


Comments

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me on your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often wondered if authors "read" books differently than the rest of us and to what degree. Now I know! Have you been able to turn off the scolding writer's voice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been able to turn it off for the most part.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.