{Review} Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna #1) by Kendare Blake

Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna #1)
by Kendare Blake
Publisher: Tor Teen
Released: August 30th 2011
How I got it: Bought it
Genre: Fiction- YA: Horror
Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...
Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.
So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father’s mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.
When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn’t expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he’s never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.
And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.

Review: I splurged on this because it sounded different and everyone kept raving about it. Usually I don't go by reviews, but I have to say they were right about this one.
I love a good ghost story and this book is that and more. The character growth of Cas and his friends was great. Cas goes from cocky loner ghost hunter to a teen who can depend on his friends. Carmel, who I really liked, goes from Queen Bee to Buffy and Thomas... well he just sort of opened up.
Cassio's world is dark, filled with mysticism, magic, and horror. With the help of a special anthame Cas is able to kill ghosts. He heads to Thunder Bay to kill Anna a ghost who's said to murder anyone who steps foot into her house. After infiltrating the local high school, things start to go downhill.
I was pulled into the book, I wanted to know Anna's story. Although I did expect it to be a little more scary As the book progressed I wanted to know more. I was on the edge of my seat trying to figure out what was going on and how all the pieces fell together. I became entranced by the characters and the end was a bit of a tear jerker. So that mean I will probably be splurging on book two.


Comments