Monday, August 6, 2012

{Review} Creep by Jennifer Hillier

Creep
by Jennifer Hillier
Publisher: Pocket Books
Released: July 31st 2012
Genre: Fiction- Adult: Mystery, Thriller
How I got it: Received a copy from the publisher

IF HE CAN’T HAVE HER . . . Dr. Sheila Tao is a professor of psychology, an expert in human behavior with her own hidden past. But she’s not the only one keeping secrets. . . . When Sheila began an affair with her sexy graduate assistant Ethan Wolfe, she knew she was playing with fire. Consumed by lust when they were together, she was riddled with guilt when they were apart. Now she’s finally engaged to a good man, and it’s time to end the dangerous liaison. But Ethan has something different in mind. He intends to make her pay for rejecting him. . . . NO ONE CAN. As Sheila attempts to counter Ethan’s increasingly threatening moves, he schemes to reveal her darkest, most intimate secrets by destroying her prestigious career . . . and then her. Caught in a terrifying cat-and-mouse game, Sheila must fight for her life and free herself from the ex-lover whom she couldn’t resist—who is now the manipulative monster who won’t let her go. CREEP Pulsing with the dark obsession of Radiohead’s song “Creep,” this “truly frightening” (Suspense Magazine) debut thriller rockets to a heart-pounding climax.

Review: Not what I expected. As much as I enjoyed this book, I was conflicted by it. I had problems with Sheila. Part of me wanted to feel bad for her. I could be symptomatic to her addiction, because she was working hard to overcome it and granted she made mistake. Yet these things helped to flesh her out and make her more real, which is why part of me felt well you reap what you sow. In other words she was deceptive and should've just come clean to Morris and her job. Then things wouldn't have been so bad, although if that had happened it wouldn't have made a good book so... instead I was left liking /not liking Sheila.
On the other hand I really liked Morris, Sheila's fiance, he was extremely likable and I felt so bad for him. He really loved Sheila and turned his life around for her only to have her lie to him. Yet I had to admire his devotion to her through everything.
Once I started reading I had a very hard time putting it back down. Fast paced, the plot pulled me in I felt I had to keep reading. There were so many things I wanted to know and had to keep reading in order to find out.  To top every thing off there was a great twist at the end and while I saw it coming, it was a great way to end the book. I really enjoyed Ms Hillier's writing style as well. She seems to have a knack for creating characters that tug at your heart strings, push your patients, and irk you making you want to read their story. Well at least she did me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.