Thursday, August 9, 2012

{Review} Freak by Jennifer Hillier

Freak
by Jennifer Hillier
Published: Gallery Books
Released: August 7th 2012
Genre: Fiction- Adult: Suspense, thriller
How I got it: Received an ARC from the publisher

From suspense author Jennifer Hillier, whom Jeffery Deaver has praised as “top of the line thriller writing,” comes Freak, a sequel to her debut novel Creep.
The bodies of naked young women, each carved with letters and numbers, are turning up dead all around Seattle. The letters match the initials of Abby Locke, a character from Creep, in prison for the attempted murder of a police officer. Locke is on the verge of being indicted for her involvement in the Tell Tale Heart killings from a year ago. But is she really capable of such violence? At least one fan, apparently obsessed with her innocence, wants the charismatic Locke freed—and is determined to continue a murder spree until she is…. Voted one of the Best Books of 2011 by Suspense magazine, Creep is a “frightening debut...packs a considerable wallop” (Publishers Weekly)

Review: I have to say I enjoyed this book a lot more than the first one. I think this is because there were more twists in this plot line. Even though I had a good idea what was going on I wasn't 100% sure. This pushed me to read so I could figure out what was going on.
Abby was a great psycho, she excelled at manipulating people, perhaps a little to well. She had a whole Hannibal Lector thing going on. One character, I can't say which or it'd spoil the book, I found utterly transparent from the get go. Freak does revisit characters from Creep, such as Sheila, Morris, Jerry and Marianne.
I still felt conflicted about Sheila, yet didn't think she needed to rehash what she'd gone through and neither did any of the other characters. Although Marianne got it worst and didn't deserve any thing that happened to her. The end of the book surprised me the most I think. Another really good book from Ms Hillier, who is an author I will be keeping an eye out for in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.