Thursday, October 11, 2012

{Review} Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles #1) by Gena Showalter

Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles #1)
by Gena Showalter
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Released: September 25th 2012
Genre: Fiction- YA: Horror, Zombie, little bit of Paranormal Romance
How I got it: Bought it

She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.
Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.
Her father was right. The monsters are real….
To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….
I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently.
I'd tell my sister no.
I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad.
I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words.
Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time.
I'd tell them I love them.
I wish... Yeah, I wish.

Review: I waited and waited for this to come out, then ship and then arrive. When I finally got it I started reading and was unsure if I was going to like it or not. Yup I found myself in a quandary because this was not what I expected. The more I read the farther I was pulled into Alice's world. I felt horrified when she lost her family and it pulled on my heartstrings to watch her struggle. Alice was just a roll-a-coster of emotion, her ups and down, as well as everything going on around her kept me on the edge of my seat.
The zombies in this book were like nothing I'd ever read about. It was refreshing to see something different. Although I While Ms Showalter did a good job explaining most of the things, I think I had as many questions as Alice. Of course this meant I had to keep reading to find out the answers. There was a lot of action in this book, sprinkled with romance aspects. I have to admit I liked Ms Showalter's not so sublet message about underage sex in the book. Yes she does go there and Alice gets a lecture about it from her bff and she touches on the subject, but no there is no actual scenes. Although there is some spicy make out sessions and I would recommend that this be for young adults, 15 and up. Cole, Alice's love interest and leader of the zombie fighters, is your typical bad boy. One thing that bugged me was that Cole was the spitting imagine of a character in one of Ms Showalter's Alien Huntress Books. I'm not sure if this was intentional, or pure accident but I wonder...
There is one huge disappointment though and that is... the second book doesn't come out for a year! Oct 2013! So not fair, because now I'm hooked and want to know what's going to happen to Alice, her friends and where her relationship with Cole is going.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...