Friday, November 30, 2012

{Book Review} The Prophet: A Shepherd Thriller by Ethan Cross

The Prophet: A Shepherd Thriller
by Ethan Cross
Publisher: Story Plant, The
Released: October 16th 2012
Genre: Fiction- Adult: Thriller
How I got it: Received a copy from publisher

OLD ENEMIES... Francis Ackerman Jr. is one of America's most prolific serial killers. Having kept a low profile for the past year, he is ready to return to work and he's more brutal, cunning, and dangerous than ever. NEW THREATS... Scarred from their past battles, Special Agent Marcus Williams cannot shake Ackerman from his mind. But now Marcus must focus on catching the Anarchist, a new killer who drugs and kidnaps women before burning them alive. HIDDEN TERRORS... Marcus knows the Anarchist will strike again soon. And Ackerman is still free. But worse than this is a mysterious figure, unknown to the authorities, who controls the actions of the Anarchist and many like him. He is the Prophet and his plans are more terrible than even his own disciples can imagine. With attacks coming from every side, Marcus faces a race against time to save the lives of a group of innocent people chosen as sacrifices in the Prophet's final dark ritual.

Review: I had a very hard time writing this review. While I enjoyed parts of it, there was just way to much going on. If I was the main character I think my head would have exploded. No wonder he has a migraine through much of the book.
First I'm going to address Marcus our main character  He's a dick. The author tries to explain this, but really his explanation isn't all that great. I felt Mr Cross was going for tough, keeps everyone at arms length, if I love them I hurt them type of man. For me it didn't work, mainly because of the romance angle. I really wish that hadn't been in there, I get why it was and the purpose but the whole catty thing between Maggie and Vasques. There's one scene that I felt was completely wrong. If these women were really the no nonsense agents they were built up to be, Maggie would have staked her claim and Vasques would have accepted it.
Next thing, there is the Anarchist serial killer, who is whiny  He is the whiniest murdered I've ever seen in a book. He doesn't want to kill, but feels he has to in order to feel whole. Yet I felt he mostly did it because the Prophet made him. Given his background he was nuts-o and that's all there was to it. The whole cult angle was interesting, and gave him some depth. Making it seem as though his actions were all choreographed by the Prophet. Some things just didn't add up for me, but in the end the dude was crazy so I guess all that matter is his actions made sense to him. I saw a lot of things coming in this book, before they actually happened so there were really no surprises. Which was a little disappointing for me. I was hoping for some twist at the end and while there were twists none that really made me go "wow, didn't see that one coming".
I really wish the Ackerman section of the book hadn't been included at all. I'm sure it's a series thing, but I found it annoying and every time he popped up I just wished they'd get back to the case at hand. The only part I liked with him is when he comes face to face with the Prophet and tells him whats what. His whole driving Marcus slowly to the dark side, shtick was just irritating.
The book did have it's moments, and the plot moves super fast with everything that's going on it kind of has to. There is a lot of jumping from character to character, but it was controlled so you knew who you were reading and weren't jarred from the story. I feel Mr Cross has a good grasp of his genre, and writing in general, but needs to not jam so much into one book and hold his cards a little closer to his chest.



 

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.