Attention Authors or anyone wanting a review: I am currently NOT taking on any more reviews at this time. Sorry for the inconvenience, but I'm overwhelmed at the moment.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

{Book Review} Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies #1) by Isaac Marion

Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies #1)
by Isaac Marion
Publisher: Atria Books
Released: April 26th 2011
 Genre: Fiction- YA: Zombie, Romance, Post-Apocolyptic
 How I got it: Bought on Amazon

A zombie who yearns for a better life ends up falling in love—with a human—in this astonishingly original debut novel. R is a zombie. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he has dreams. He doesn’t enjoy killing people; he enjoys riding escalators and listening to Frank Sinatra. He is a little different from his fellow Dead. Not just another zombie novel, Warm Bodies is funny, scary, and deeply moving.


Review: So I decided to buy this after seeing the author on a zombie documentary and then seeing the trailer for the upcoming movie. Never will do that again. While the book wasn't bad, it wasn't great either.
R and Julie are different from the other people/ zombies. R is self aware and becoming more so especially after meeting Julie. Julie is a free spirit and has a very open mind, much more so than the other survivors. These two meet and set a chain of events in motion that will change the world.
The book holds a strange duality, between the living and the dead. I think, although not positive, that it may have been the authors intention. There is the stadium and the airport. The stadium is where the living well... lived, worked, learned, etc. The airport is where the dead for lack of a better term lived, learned, etc. I saw similarities between the two places, both had places where they taught the young to fight. There was a duality between the boney's and Julie's father as well in they both refused to move on to let change come about.
There were a couple sections of the book that made me go ugh, and I hope to God they don't put them in the movie. Just Ewww! These sections also make me want to warn that while this labeled YA I think 16 and up should be the age limit.
I kept reading hoping it would get better, but I felt let down by the end of the book. I felt like Mr Marion had created these two characters I could get behind and they did nothing. Ok they ran around, talked a lot, and R managed to pass himself off as a living person, but still I'm left wondering why was R so much more self aware than the other zombies? What was it about Julie that made her special? Why Perry's brain? What was it about these things that was so special? The more I think about it the more questions I have. The ending just felt rushed, and I had very little closure by the end of the book.



 

4 comments:

  1. Saw this movie and it gave me some great laughs. Bought the book before the movie, but haven't had time to read it, although my 13 y/o son has and he liked it. Saw your blog listed on Goodreads - love the name! Follow back? www.teripolen.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see the movie, but haven't had a chance yet. Thanks, following back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved both the book and the movie. But, I'm a zombie fanatic! (Love your Team Zombie button, btw!)

    I read that Marion was not pleased with his book being marketed as YA, and I agree with you that it's not for younger teens. The movie, on the other hand, dials back seriously on the gore. Not surprising since it had to get the PG-13 rating. The movie was more focused on the romance, and the zombie angle was secondary. Hope that you like it if/when you see it!

    Stephanie @ Read, Rinse, Repeat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit of a zombie fanatic too. :) And thanks I got it from Bookish Brunette.
      I didn't know that. Hmm. I didn't expect a lot of gore, anyway since the book didn't have a lot of zombie killing. I kinda figured that it was more of a romance than zombie movie, from the trailers. I'm hoping it'll come out on Netflix so I get a chance to watch it, but that will be awhile.

      Delete

I love getting comments from folks, but lately most of it has been just spam. I'm going to moderate comments for a while, because I just don't want to deal with people who tack on garbage to their comments.