Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Armchair BEA- My Path as a blogger

I've been blogging for 4 years. I originally started as a "Mommy" Blogger. Mostly to vent and cry and rave about my kids. At the time I was also working as a reviewer for a few book blogs and review sites. I figured 'that doesn't look so hard bet I could review on my blog as well'. This lead to product reviews, which lead to me trying to generate some income with my blog. After awhile it got to be to much I was spending more time on my blog and "pimping" it out than on my kids who had inspired the blog in the first place. I had to give up my job as a book reviewer, something I had loved to devote more time to my reviews and blog, yet with all this time and stuff I was never generating enough hits to actually make money. It began to stop being fun and it became a job, one I didn't like anymore. So I did what any sensible person would, took a break. Then came back with fresh eyes and realized that my blog had become something I wasn't happy with anymore. My little spot in the cyber world was covered with blinking banners and ads. I took a good look at what I was doing and what I was missing.
Then I tore it down.
I decided I wanted smaller, scaled down to doing just what made me happy. Of course this brought me to books. They have been my life long addiction, ever since I was little. So Mama Knows Books was born. I pretty much do my own thing on here. I try to be involved in the community but it's limited because I don't want to be chained to my laptop. I am not going to go "pro" again that was a headache. Although if you look on my sidebar there is one ad for mine and my moms etsy site, but that doesn't count. After hitting burn out I know what I want and it's small. I don't need to be in the spotlight getting all the latest and greatest toys (although it was fun). I am on twitter although I don't update as much as I should, it's usually random, but if I had folks to actually talk to not just post giveaways and weird stuff I would chat more on there. I have a FB page, my account is set to personal just for family and close friends. Even then I don't update much, mostly my daughter uses it to play games. While I'm a member of several book community sites, I'm only really active on GR (GoodReads).
For me this is a hobby, and while I enjoy it I don't want it to take over my life. I like learning about aspects of it and enjoy talking to others who are like minded.

4 comments:

  1. Your journey as a blogger has been and interesting one. You've run the gamut and decided what works for you and that must be a good feeling.

    tanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I found myself getting too carried away as well (though I never branched out to "products") and I had to reel myself back in too. Kudos to those who can make it work and even make some money - but that's just not me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post! I know I really had to get firm with myself and remember this a hobby. I think we all get carried away with the craziness of this blogging world. :)

    - Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your experience. My blog is pretty small, but I have fun - which is the point, I guess. Hope you have fun with Armchair BEA.

    LLM - ABookGeek

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...