Wednesday, May 15, 2013

{Book Review} Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine #1) by Ransom Riggs

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine #1)
by Ransom Riggs
Publisher: Quirk
Released: June 7th 2011
Genre: Fiction- YA: fantasy, paranormal, mystery, historical-fiction
How I got it: Bought it

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. And a strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here - one of whom was his own grandfather - were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow - impossible though it seems - they may still be alive.

Review: I originally saw this on another blog and thought it sounded interesting, but it was the pictures that sealed the deal for me. When I discovered the pictures were real, not just fabricated for the book, I was even more fascinated. I enjoyed following Jacob on this journey of self discovery. Even if he thought he was searching for answers about his grandfather and a solution to his nightmares after seeing his grandfather's death. He travels with his father to the island where his grandfather lived. Amazingly hidden in a timeloop his grandfather's friends still live frozen in time. Jacob learns that there is more to the world than what he knows and his grandfather wasn't a demented old man. The characters in this book were unusual and memorable giving the book a unique edge.
The story transcends time, drawing the reader between the twentieth century and world war 2 Britain. The plot was original and well thought out incorporating the interesting, and sometimes creepy, pictures into the book. The only problem I had with this book was the romance aspect, because I wasn't sure it was right for Jacob to fall for his grandfather's girlfriend. Also I had to wonder if she cared for Jacob or if she saw his grandfather in him.
Over all a good book.


6 comments:

  1. Great review. I also enjoyed this book (a lot of it due to the packaging and the pictures) but never reviewed it...Ransom Riggs has a knack for finding beauty in odd things and places, there was a series of pictures of abandoned mental asylums that had my mind reeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall pictures of an abandoned mental asylum, but it sounds fascinating.

      Delete
  2. I loved this book! IT was one of my favorites last year. I'm really glad you enjoyed it, as it does have that captivating tone that gives it so much life. I found the romance part weird, too, but I'm looking forward to how it will unfold.

    Faye @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it wasn't just me who found the romance strange. It will be interesting to see how everything plays out.

      Delete
  3. I also enjoyed this book when I read it. Whilst it didn't fulfil my expectations whole heartedly, I am keen to see the story develop as well as discover more from Ransom Riggs.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us :-)

    My Book Bubble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious to see where the series goes.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.