Thursday, May 23, 2013

{Book Review} Sinister Entity by Hunter Shea

Sinister Entity
by Hunter Shea
Publisher: Samhain Publishing
Released: April 2nd 2013 by
Genre: Fiction- Adult: paranormal, horror
How I got it: Sent a copy by the author

"How can you escape the ghost of yourself?"
The Leigh family is terrified. They've been haunted by the ghostly image of their young daughter, Selena. But how can that be, when Selena is alive and well, and as frightened as her parents? With nowhere else to turn, the Leighs place their hopes in Jessica Backman, who has dedicated her life to investigating paranormal activity. Accompanied by a new partner who claims to be able to speak to the dead, Jessica will soon encounter an entity that scares even her. And a terror far worse than she imagined.

Review: Sinister Entity is a straight up horror novel, if your a fan of the ghost shows on a sci fi or the paranormal activity movies then this is the book for you. I couldn't put this sucker down.
 Jessica is a paranormal investigator, who usually works solo. Eddie is a physic who has been studying his abilities at the Rhine Institute. Eddie has been in contact with Jessica's dead father who pushes the two together. Partnered against the paranormal they come to the aide of a family being "haunted" by a ghost who looks just like their teenage daughter. Selena, the daughter, is justly freaked out. Things amp up when Jess and Eddie get on the scene, they realize that the doppelganger maybe the good guy and there is some thing much more sinister waiting in the wings.
Jessica is a kick butt heroine who looks death straight in the eye and say bring it on. Eddie is your strong determined type character. When brought together they actually worked really well as Jessica's recklessness was toned down by Eddie's level headedness. I know that's not a word but it works. I liked how both characters brought different views of the paranormal to the table and expanded the other's awareness, by doing so. There was a little chemistry between them as well, which didn't hurt.
But (you knew there had to be a but) I was disappointed by a couple things first was actually on the publisher. I love Samhain publishing's books they have some very gifted authors but their editing sucks. I found some jarring mistakes, like Selena and Jessica's name's screwed up at least twice, and to my knowledge this was not an ARC. Now I don't usually point this stuff out but it took me out of the story trying to figure out what was going on. The second thing that bugged me was the sexual aspect, that aspect of the book made me think of the bad foreign horror movies. It was like, we need some nudity here and, oh yeah, let's traumatize a young woman beyond all reason. I felt the plot was brushing a very thin line with some of the antics pulled.
Now on the other hand did it hype up the tension in the plot, yes. It also gave the edge of you seat holy crap what's going to happens next moments, but at the end of the book I was left wondering was that really necessary. The thing is even these things didn't stop me from being drawn into the book. Engaging and thrilling the plot kept me guessing. Sinister Entity is a thrill ride and I will be picking up Mr Shea's other works. As I found his writing style very entertaining.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.