Monday, May 20, 2013

{Book Review} Splintered (Splintered #1) by A.G. Howard

Splintered (Splintered #1)
by A.G. Howard
Publisher: Amulet Books
Released: January 1st 2013
Genre: Fiction- YA: Fantasy
How I Got it: Bought it

This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.
When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.

Review: Ms Howard has created a disturbing, warped version of Wonderland, I was reminded quite a bit of the game American Magee's Alice in Wonderland game. With the twisted characters. Of course this was right up my alley as I love all thing Alice in Wonderland almost as much as I do zombies.
Alyssa Gardner is the descent of Alice Liddell, who inspired Lewis Carroll to write Alice in Wonderland. All the women in her family have suffered from a curse of insanity. Her mother suffers from it and so does Alyssa. The only way to shut up the bugs and flowers to put them in her art. Alyssa fears being put away like her mother so she hides the fact she can hear things others can't. Not only from from her family but from her friends as well and that's not her only secret she's keeping. Her longtime friend Jeb, is also her secret  crush.  When Alyssa discovers perhaps her mom's not as nuts as they thought and jumps through the looking glass Jeb follows.
Alyssa is a young woman who has a pretty crappy life, she's lied to pretty much everyone to save face because her mom's living in the nut house. I really felt bad for Alyssa, nothing seems to go right and she has so many secrets. Yet she was so strong, even if she couldn't see it. She had two sides to that became apparent when she enters Wonderland and faces Morpheus. As the book progresses shes torn between not only these two sides of herself but Morpheus and Jeb. Each side of herself, drawn to them adding a tiny bit of romance to the tale.
Once Alyssa jumped down the rabbit hole, I couldn't put this book down I was pulled into the world of Wonderland. I was swept up in the colorful world, and disturbing characters. So much so I was dreaming about it. There was a twist toward the end, that if you were paying attention to the clues wasn't a surprise, yet it was so good.
As a debut book Splintered is certainly a spectacular one, from the breath taking cover to the engaging plot it's an amazing book. I feel Ms Howard is an author to keep an eye on. I didn't want the book to end, this story was so great I highly recommend it for anyone, Alice Junkies like myself or just those who like the YA genre.



2 comments:

  1. I was glad to discover your review when I was looking through my feed today because I'm actually reading Splintered this week so it was good to get to know another perspective on it. I want to jump in to it even more after your review!

    My Book Bubble

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it was helpful. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...