Monday, May 27, 2013

It's Monday!

Happy Memorial Day!!
When I was little my Mom would always drag us around to the cemeteries and put flowers on all the grave stones on Memorial Day. I know it sounds kind of morbid but I loved it because she would always share some little story or tidbit about the person we were "visiting" it let me know parts of my family history. I love visiting old graveyards, looking at all the stones seeing history.
So do you have any traditions or things you do on Memorial Day to remember those who have come before us?

If you want to know what I did this week visit these posts No hiking and my foot hurts 
and Lakeview Wild Life Management Area on my other blog.

Ok and on to....


Welcome to It’s Monday! What Are You Reading! 
Hosted by Sheila @ Book Journey

 
Currently Reading...

Wake (Watersong, #1) by Amanda Hocking (Still working on this one, I put it on the back burner for a bit.) Fall under the spell of Wake—the first book in an achingly beautiful new series by celebrated author Amanda Hocking—and lose yourself to the Watersong.
Gorgeous. Fearless. Dangerous. They're the kind of girls you envy; the kind of girls you want to hate. Strangers in town for the summer, Penn, Lexi and Thea have caught everyone's attention—but it’s Gemma who’s attracted theirs. She’s the one they’ve chosen to be part of their group.
Gemma seems to have it all—she’s carefree, pretty, and falling in love with Alex, the boy next door. He’s always been just a friend, but this summer they’ve taken their relationship to the next level, and now there’s no going back. Then one night, Gemma’s ordinary life changes forever. She’s taking a late night swim under the stars when she finds Penn, Lexi and Thea partying on the cove. They invite her to join them, and the next morning she wakes up on the beach feeling groggy and sick, knowing something is different.
Suddenly Gemma is stronger, faster, and more beautiful than ever. But her new powers come with a terrifying price. And as she uncovers the truth, she’s is forced to choose between staying with those she loves—or entering a new world brimming with dark hungers and unimaginable secrets.

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan (I've heard really good things about this book, so I had to start reading shortly after getting it. Kind of reminds me of the movie The Village.)
In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

Untraceable (Nature of Grace, #1) by S.R. Johannes(Reading for NetGalley)
16-year-old Grace has lived in the Smokies all her life, patrolling with her forest ranger father who taught her about wildlife, tracking, and wilderness survival.
When her dad goes missing on a routine patrol, Grace refuses to believe he’s dead and fights the town authorities, tribal officials, and nature to find him.
One day, while out tracking clues, Grace is rescued from danger by Mo, a hot guy with an intoxicating accent and a secret. As her feelings between him and her ex-boyfriend get muddled, Grace travels deep into the wilderness to escape and find her father.
Along the way, Grace learns terrible secrets that sever relationships and lives. Soon she’s enmeshed in a web of conspiracy, deception, and murder. And it’s going to take a lot more than a compass and a motorcycle (named Lucifer) for this kick-butting heroine to save everything she loves.

Allison Hewitt Is Trapped (Zombie, #1) by Madeleine Roux (I started this after reading a bunch of good reviews and so far have been disappointed)
"One woman's story as she blogs - and fights back - the zombie apocalypse"
Allison Hewitt and her five colleagues at the Brooks and Peabody Bookstore are trapped together when the zombie outbreak hits. Allison reaches out for help through her blog, writing on her laptop and utilizing the military's emergency wireless network (SNET). It may also be her only chance to reach her mother. But as the reality of their situation sinks in, Allison's blog becomes a harrowing account of her edge-of-the-seat adventures (with some witty sarcasm thrown in) as she and her companions fight their way through ravenous zombies and sometimes even more dangerous humans.


Finished:
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks
Girls and Monsters by Anne Michaud (NetGalley)
Detention of the Living Dead by Rusty Fischer (Read for NNMR)

On the agenda I have a one more from NetGalley and then I'm retackling my TBR list.
So what are you reading this week leave your link and I'll stop by.

17 comments:

  1. I'm from the UK so we don't share in your celebration of Memorial Day, but without seeming morbid, the tradition of your Mum's sounds quite lovely/thoughtful.

    Untraceable sounds like an interesting read.

    In the coming weeks I'm trying to tackle my review books from Netgalley...

    My Book Bubble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jade. Untraceable is a little different, I'm still near the beginning so we'll see how it turns out. I love getting books from Netgalley but I always feel rushed to get them done.

      Delete
  2. You had a good week. I was intrigued by Untraceable. When I saw that it was released in 2011 and available for $.99 for the Kindle, I had to get a copy. Come see my Monday Report. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. YAY, you have first books in series I haven't heard of before :) I will have to check those out!

    Thanks for stopping by my It's Monday... post earlier.

    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find something you like. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. If only I could exercise some restraint on NetGalley I'd get back to my TBR stack *sigh* LOL. We don't have Memorial Day in Australia either but I love your tradition. I have an angel baby and my mum and grandparents have passed away so I find it comforting to visit and chat and see who else is keeping them company ... hmm maybe that makes me a little strange :)
    Have a great week and enjoy your reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Teddyree. I don't think it's strange at all. I know what you mean about NetGalley, I always find good things to read on there. :)

      Delete
  5. The Forest of Hands and Teeth is on my reading list too. I've seen mixed reviews, but I'm hoping I'll love it. Have a great week :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya I'm really enjoying The Forest of Hands and Teeth. I hope you enjoy it too.

      Delete
  6. I've heard so many things about The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Hope you enjoy Armchair BEA (I'm participating too) and your reading week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, I heard good things about The Forest of Hands and Teeth too which is why I got it. So far I'm having a hard time putting it down. Thanks, I'm a little nervous about participating in the Armchair BEA as this is my first time. Have a great week.

      Delete
  7. Hi, new follower here! Nice books! I'd love to read your review of Forest of Hands and Teeth, I've been meaning to read it for a while.

    Eveline's Books

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for following and stopping by. I'm enjoying it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I really enjoyed The Forest of Hands and Teeth! Hope you enjoy your books this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Memorial Day! Allison Hewitt is Trapped looks like a great read, even though I don't like zombies.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your books. I hope you had a great day. I'm currently reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer and Anna Karenina by Tolstoy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...