Attention Authors or anyone wanting a review: I am currently NOT taking on any more reviews at this time. Sorry for the inconvenience, but I'm overwhelmed at the moment.

Friday, June 21, 2013

{Book Review} The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth #1) by Carrie Ryan

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth #1)
by Carrie Ryan
Publisher:Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Released: March 10th 2009 by
Genre:Fiction- YA: horror, post-apocalyptic, zombies
How I got it: Bought

In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

Review: I was seriously disappointed with the Forest of Hands and Teeth. I had read such good things, but I was not impressed.
Mary's world comes crashing down around her. The boy she loves is marrying her best friend. Ok first and fore most was the love square, Mary loves Travis, Travis loves Mary but is going to marry Cass because his brother Harry is also in love with Mary.  This whole concept was stupid and really didn't add anything to the story other than making me wonder what the fudge. It frustrated me especially once they were out of the village how much Mary dwelled on it. At first I found Mary empathetic, she'd lost her family and the life she thought she was going to have was suddenly in shambles. But as the book progress I found her selfish and childish. The ending seriously pissed me off, with the cliff hanger.
The story itself was good, it reminded me of The Village. The plot was what carried this book for me, as I really didn't care for the main character. The story was engaging and interesting. Things moved along at a good pace, not letting things lag to long so that the plot became stale or boring. I thought Ms Ryan had a good voice and writing style.
Yet in the end I'm on the fence about whether or not I want to get book 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments from folks, but lately most of it has been just spam. I'm going to moderate comments for a while, because I just don't want to deal with people who tack on garbage to their comments.