Attention Authors or anyone wanting a review: I am currently NOT taking on any more reviews at this time. Sorry for the inconvenience, but I'm overwhelmed at the moment.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

{Book Review} The S-Word by Chelsea Pitcher

The S-Word
by Chelsea Pitcher
Publisher:Gallery Books
Released: May 7th 2013
Genre: Fiction- YA(16-up): Mystery
How I got it: Netgalley

First it was SLUT scribbled all over Lizzie Hart’s locker.
But one week after Lizzie kills herself, SUICIDE SLUT replaces it—in Lizzie's looping scrawl.
Lizzie’s reputation is destroyed when she's caught in bed with her best friend’s boyfriend on prom night. With the whole school turned against her, and Angie not speaking to her, Lizzie takes her own life. But someone isn’t letting her go quietly. As graffiti and photocopies of Lizzie’s diary plaster the school, Angie begins a relentless investigation into who, exactly, made Lizzie feel she didn’t deserve to keep living. And while she claims she simply wants to punish Lizzie’s tormentors, Angie's own anguish over abandoning her best friend will drive her deep into the dark, twisted side of Verity High—and she might not be able to pull herself back out.
Debut author Chelsea Pitcher daringly depicts the harsh reality of modern high schools, where one bad decision can ruin a reputation, and one cruel word can ruin a life. Angie’s quest for the truth behind Lizzie’s suicide is addictive and thrilling, and her razor-sharp wit and fierce sleuthing skills makes her impossible not to root for—even when it becomes clear that both avenging Lizzie and avoiding self-destruction might not be possible.

Review: Angie is devastated, she's lost everything her best friend, her boyfriend and her self respect. 
I did not expect what went on in this book, it is far more intense and dark than a YA should be, actually leaning into the new adult area. I actually liked Angie in the beginning of the book, when she was playing detective. She was the victim. She was hurt, and alone her world turn upside down yet she was still trying to figure out who was bullying those around her. This all changed by the end of the book. I don't think a character has let me down as much as Angie ever. I did like Jesse he was the kind of kid I would've hung around with in school. Even though he was bullied, he was never afraid to be himself and I think that is the one thing a reader can take from this book. Unfortunately I found most of the other characters to be cookie cutter teen drama esk, characters. You have your cheerleaders, jocks, and geeks.
The plot is riveting and basically ripped from the news headlines you see all the time. I had a few things figured out after reading just a few chapters, other things were completely out of left field. It was some of these revelations that bothered me. Toward the end I had to set this aside, I thought long and hard if I should actually finish the book. I was that upset by the change in Angie and the content. Yes I did finish it, but the ending didn't sit well with me. I don't feel Angie redeemed herself and I think things should have played out differently. In my opinion there was way to much heavy content for this book, it was just over whelming.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments from folks, but lately most of it has been just spam. I'm going to moderate comments for a while, because I just don't want to deal with people who tack on garbage to their comments.