Tuesday, July 16, 2013

{Book Review} Ghostly Summons by John A. Karr

Ghostly Summons
by John A. Karr
Publisher: Dark Continents Publishing, Inc.
Released: March 13th 2013
Genre: Fiction- Adult: Mystery, Thriller
How I got it: Received a free copy from the author

Lars Kelsen doesn’t believe in psychic phenomenon. To him, visions of murder victims are a form of mental illness. Once they begin, options are limited; he can try to ignore them or deal with them by exposing a killer. Only the latter provides any semblance of peace. Temporarily, anyway. Five years into his new life as a programmer, Kelsen—ex-crime beat reporter with a penance he can never fully satisfy—sees a victim.

In person. Upright. Staring.

Typical of such past "Visits" as he calls them, he doesn’t welcome this one. The nude form of a beautiful millionairess in his cubicle means murder has come to the vacation haven known as North Carolina’s Outer Banks. It means he’ll have to go places he'd rather avoid. See things he'll wish he hadn’t. Do things that don't come naturally, like in-your-face confrontation and bending the law. Actually, breaking the law ... but with good intent. It also means dealing with one very attractive county coroner, who pushes his buttons in a not entirely unwelcome way.

So begins Kelsen's return to investigative reporting—complete with attempts on his life, fights, deception, and all the technological tricks, such as GPS and computer hacking, at his disposal. And maybe even finding a new love interest.

Review: This was an interesting premises but the delivery left something to be desired.
I liked the idea behind a crime reporter having to deal with psychic abilities. Seeing the victims and having to help solve their case or tell their story before the can move on. Even the idea that Kelsen couldn't deal with his "visitors" and thought he had mental problems was unique. I can't figure out why but Kelsen rubbed me the wrong way, through out the book. I'm not sure if it was his attitude in general or if it was his heavy handedness with people but I just didn't like him. I did feel bad for him losing his son and wife yet this didn't endear me to him. Perhaps it was because he was to real, he was like a jaded reporter who had seen to much and didn't want to deal with it any more. This of course was the character, so I guess that mean Mr Karr did a good job.
 The plot was ok, but there was way to much description and background bogging down the story. This was stuff that didn't move the plot along and just stalled me when reading. I liked Kelsen motivation to solve the murder, that kept the character going and the plot going. I felt Kelsen bull approach was a hindrance to him, and the reader because we didn't get the clues to solve the mystery. Solving the mystery before the main character is one of the reason I read mysteries, so it bugs me when clues aren't there. The paranormal aspect worked for the book and did help move the plot along as well as giving Kelsen needed motivation.
Over all ok, probably not something I would read again.


1 comment:

  1. Shandy, I'm glad you found the paranormal aspect of John's mystery to be an enjoyable twist. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.