Thursday, August 1, 2013

{Book Review} The Red Queen Dies by Frankie Y. Bailey

The Red Queen Dies: A Mystery
by Frankie Y. Bailey 
Publisher:Minotaur Books
Released: September 10th 2013
Genre: Fiction- Adult: Mystery, Suspense
How I got it: Received an ARC from the author


The year is 2019, and a drug used to treat soldiers for post-traumatic stress disorder, nicknamed "Lullaby," has hit the streets. Swallowing a little pill erases traumatic memories, but what happens to a criminal trial when the star witness takes a pill and can't remember the crime? When two women are murdered in quick succession, biracial police detective Hannah McCabe is charged with solving the case. In spite of the advanced technology, including a city-wide surveillance program, a third woman is soon killed, and the police begin to suspect that a serial killer is on the loose. But the third victim, a Broadway actress known as “The Red Queen,” doesn’t fit the pattern set by the first two murders.

With the late September heat sizzling, Detective Hannah McCabe and her colleagues on the police force have to race to find the killer in a tangled web of clues that involve Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, and Abraham Lincoln’s assassination. Fast-paced and original, this is a one-of-a-kind mystery from an extremely talented crime writer.

Review: Still confused...
Vivan Jessup, an actress, is found dead in the same manner as two other women. Hannah "Hank" McCabe catches the case. She and her partner Baxter, work their tails off to find the killer while dealing with the press and personal lives.
Hannah is a good character, tough, down to Earth and caring. She's well rounded and likable, with the glimpses of her home life giving her a solid in depth background. The case and clues are given to the reader right along with the detectives for the most part, so that I came to the conclusion with the characters which was a nice change of pace. Yet I still had questions at the end of the book, things weren't explained to my satisfaction.Although the twist was great. The ending and motive left me a little peeved. It felt a bit like a cop out and the ending I thought was going to happen was better.
I was also confused by the side plot with the other detectives. I thought maybe the two cases were linked, or something but nope Which made me wonder if it was just tossed in for word fodder. There is also one scene with a mystery man and Hannah which alludes to a love life but nothing ever comes of it.
The blurb plays up the Alice in Wonderland / Wizard of Oz angle but even though the detectives play up that angle it really had very little to do with the actual case. To me they over analyzed the book angle making them chase their tales.
Even with these little things, the plot is solid and good. There is a futuristic take but it's not over done. The technology is more advanced, but realistically. There are other little aspects tossed in as well, but it's here and there, small things that actual could be in our future. Over all it's a decent read.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your honest review. Very nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for hosting me and for the review! I'm glad you liked Hannah as a character and most of the book.

    Yes, I know the ending left some unanswered questions, and I have the feeling you aren't going to be the only reviewers to point that out. In truth, there is more to come. I have an overarching story that will get played out in the next couple of books. Maybe I should have labeled it a trilogy, but then I'm hoping that once this plotline gets played out there will be more books in the series :)

    Anyway, you reviewed my book based on what you read, and that's all I can expect a reviewer to do. I really appreciate your thoughtful comments.

    Thanks again for being my first stop on my virtual tour.

    All the best,

    Frankie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.