Wednesday, August 7, 2013

{Book Review} SNAP: The World Unfolds by Michele Drier

SNAP: The World Unfolds
by Michele Drier
Publisher: Self
Released: July 1st 2011
Genre: Fiction- Adult: Paranormal Romance
How I got it: Received a copy from the author

SNAP, a multinational celeb TV show and magazine, is the holy grail for Maxie Gwenoch. When she snags the job as managing editor, she’s looking for fame, fortune and Jimmy Choos. What she finds is a media empire owned by Baron Kandesky and his family. A family of vampires. They’re European, urbane, wealthy and mesmerizing. And when she meets Jean-Louis, vampire and co-worker, she’s a goner.

The Kandesky vampire family rose in Hungary centuries ago. They gave up violence and killing to make a killing on the world’s commodities markets and with that beginning they built SNAP, an international celebrity multimedia empire. Now cultured…and having found food substitutes for killing…they’ve cornered the world market for celebrity and gossip journalism.

They haven’t fully left the past behind. Their Hungarian neighbors and rival vampire clan, the Huszars are starting to ramp up attacks, maybe looking to start a war to take over all the Kandeskys have built.

Maxie believes she’s found her ultimate career. She doesn’t realize that she’s found a family feud like none other, a centuries-old rivalry between vampire families, with her as the linchpin. Bells ring with Jean-Louis, but she doesn’t realize they’re alarm sirens until she learns that Jean-Louis is second in command of the Kandeskys…but by then it’s too late.

Review: Ok so I don't usually read vampire books, unless I know the author or something clicks with me. I decided to give SNAP a shot, because I liked the idea of old world vamps running a high end corporation. I mean it made sense that vampires being centuries old would be able to own and run a whole slew of businesses and in todays day and age with all the technology they could be relatively unknown. Ms Drier plays with this idea.
Maxie joins SNAP a international magazine, tv show and internet sensation who it in the know about gossip, celebrities and can make or break careers. As Maxie settles into her new position she gains some unwanted attention.
I liked how the vampires were normal, a little aloof but basically normal just with different dietary and environmental needs. I really liked this. I mean even though Maxie kept trying to give them this mysterious quality, they were just corporate big wigs. I had issues with Maxie as a main character. At first she was this strong, powerful, no nonsense business woman, and then she turns into this whiny little spoiled brat. I would've like this much better if she had taken this all in and just rolled with it.
The plot was decent and kept me entertained. The only thing that bothered me was the romance aspect. Since this is a first book in the series I think working up to the romance would have been better. It felt rushed and I didn't see the chemistry between Maxie and Jean-Louis. I really didn't get a fix on Jean-Louis, he was just not in the book enough.
As a first book in the series it's good and its enough to make me want to see where the feud goes from here and if Maxie starts to get a clue.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...