Tuesday, September 17, 2013

{Book Review} Cake: A Fairy Tale by Dina Keratsis

Cake: A Fairy Tale
by Dina Keratsis
Publisher: Self
Released: July 2nd 2013
Genre: Fiction- Adult: fantasy, romance
How I got it: received a copy from the author

She has nothing left to lose... When Breena stumbles into the enchanted borderland of Cake, she is given the choice to return to her world or face the unknown. Unable to bear returning to her empty life, she embraces the challenge, much to the annoyance of the handsome, brooding Rune. He wants redemption... Long ago, Rune failed in his duty to guard the Queen Likely and vowed never again to let desire rule him. Then he meets Breena, the last Likely, and least likely, to succeed. Sworn to protect her from the killer who seeks to destroy Cake, Rune is forced to face his awakening desire for the one woman he can never have. Together, they embark on a magical journey to save Cake and while Rune abandons his heart, Breena discovers that she has everything to lose.

Review:Cake reminded me of the epic fantasy novels I used to read, kind of mashed with romance.
Breena stumbles into Cake, an in between world, where humans and other creatures live. Creatures out of fairy tales and nightmares. There Breena meets Rune a human sworn to protect her family. Breena knows nothing of her true self, and while accepting of her new situation, she really can't come to terms with herself.
I liked certain aspects of Breena's character, I liked how beneath everything she really was tough and could do what needed to be done. She seemed to naive and sheltered, I got the how and why of this but still wasn't crazy about it. Her self deprecation got to me as well. Of course she doubted herself at times I think anyone pushed into that situation would, but she got down on herself and then bounce right back to Miss Optimistic. It was a bit of a roller-coaster ride.
Then again with Mr Hot and Cold I guess any gal could go a little manic. Heroes like Rune drive me Fing nuts (excuse the language.) poor girl's emotions get whiplash from his I like you, have to keep you at arms reach attitude. Even if we the readers know what's really going on in his head, you gotta feel bad for Bree because she isn't a mind reader. Makes me want to reach into the book and give him a good slap upside the head.
The plot moves along well, mainly because there is a lot of traveling and well they're moving to the plot must as well. I liked how Ms Keratsis dropped the action in just at the right time to keep the book interesting and give it a bit more than romance. I could have lived without the Arthurian references, but perhaps it's just me. All in all a very well done and entertaining read.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...