Tuesday, September 3, 2013

{Book Review} Dead Chaos (Dead Chaos #1) by April Brookshire

Dead Chaos (Dead Chaos #1)
by April Brookshire
Publisher: Self
Released: August 8th 2013
Genre: Fiction- New Adult: Post-apocalyptic, zombie, horror
How I got it: Received a copy for author

Zombies plague the apocalyptic landscape, insatiable and wreaking havoc on the remaining uninfected. Settlements desperately hold out, fighting for the last remnants of civilization while striving for a return to normalcy.

At twenty years old, I should be worrying about final exams and where I’m going for spring break. Instead, I’m sharpening blades and loading guns.

My family chooses to make its home away from the settlements, deep in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. We raid stores across the state, gathering supplies which we in turn trade to the settlements.

It’s a simple, but dangerous, existence and biters haunt us every step of the way.

Lucky for us, I have a secret . . . I’m a necromancer.

My name is Anya Donovan and this is my survival story.

Review: I have to say I really enjoyed this book.
Anya, her family, boyfriend and some friends managed to survive the zombie apocalypse. Now they are making a pretty decent living scrounging and selling/ bartering supplies to groups who need them. But for them the zombies aren't the big problem because Anya is a necromancer, their big concern is the other survivors, because when the worlds gone the heck in a hand-basket all bets are off.
Ok so Anya is this tough tom boy gal who just happens to be able to incapacitate zombies. Actually she knocks them out for a couple hours. The thing I liked about this is she has to recharge after she does it, so it's not like there wasn't any zombie killing. What? I like me some zombie killing. I liked the close knit family and I liked that the family wasn't running and scrambling for food, and etc. The only problem with this is being that they were so close I knew at some point some one, it wasn't hard to figure out who, was going to get bit. I really wish the authors had done something else, at that critical moment because it was just to predictable. But it was a nice change to read a zombie book that didn't have the main characters running for their lives all the time yet they were still weary and on guard. Even though there was down time, it wasn't boring and didn't drag out the way some books do.
I did find the concept of a hippie/ nudist community to be both funny and slightly disturbing. I always find interaction between survivors in these books to be nerve rattling because they can go either way and when I like the characters it makes it even more so. The plot moved at a good clip in this book, balancing action with everyday life in a post-apocalyptic world,  keeping me reading. I have to admit I was sad to see this book end and not because it ends on a cliff hanger ending either. A great book by two talented writers.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...