Thursday, September 12, 2013

{Book Review} Surrounded by Ghosts: Tales of Pogey Point and Places from My Past by Janet Larkin

Surrounded by Ghosts: Tales of Pogey Point and Places from My Past
by Janet Larkin
Publisher: Llewellyn Publications
Released: October 8th 2013
Genre: Non-Fiction- Adult: Paranormal
How I got it: NetGalley

As a newborn, Janet Larkin died and came back to life. At three her sister drove over her skull with a tractor. And when she was eight years old, she had a conversation with her dead grandmother.

So began a life full of ghostly encounters. When she was still a girl, Janet received forewarning of a triple homicide next door and saw the ghost of one of the victims. In their Memphis apartment, she experienced a terrifying being posing as her husband. Growing up on an orchard in the 1950s, Janet has seen more than her fare share of spirits and spooks. In Surrounded by Ghosts, Janet recalls her creepiest stories and grapples to make sense of a life overflowing with unexplained phenomena.

Review: I'm not really sure what to make of this book. In my opinion it's more of a memoir, or even journal, perhaps it was more of a therapeutic work for Ms Larkin. For me as a reader it wasn't that great.
Then again maybe I'm just used to spookier stories.
The book follows, Janet as she deals with her life and the paranormal that infects it. Janet almost dies twice once as a baby and then as a child. She thinks that because of this she has a connection with the spirit world. For the most part her experiences were with family, a lot of it while dreaming. Now I dream about my dead relatives all the time so for me that was blah. The experiences with other ghost were pretty generic, stories that could happen to anyone. For me there was nothing special about the book, nothing that grabbed me. It was something that anyone who read, watched or listened to a lot of the paranormal genre could bang out.
I don't mean to down play Ms Larkin's experiences, but for me the book wasn't anything special.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.