Tuesday, December 17, 2013

{Book Review} The Burning Z by Clive Riddle

The Burning Z
by Clive Riddle
Publisher: HealthQuest Publishers
Release: May 15th 2013
Genre: Fiction- Adult: Sci fi, zombie
How I got it: Received a copy from author

Zombies invade the Black Rock desert and the Burning Man festival, while a flawed hero tries to rescue his rekindled love. The Burning Z takes us back to the source of a zombie outbreak a pre-zombie apocalypse world but one in which a passing zombie might not merit a second glance: the annual Burning Man festival in the Black Rock desert. A mysterious meteor slams into the Black Rock desert and soon a growing number of zombies are on the loose. Bruce and Conner - hometown friends who experience sudden success early in their careers, followed by a long downward trajectory encounter the z's and embark on a quest across the desert to save Conner s recently rekindled high school love who is attending Burning Man. Alan Gorman the steadfast, retired Air Force physician with expert marksmanship and a prosthetic lower limb - endures his own odyssey trying to alert the authorities to the escalating zombie menace. It all leads to a climatic, costumed battle of the Alamo, inside Burning Man's Black Rock City.

Review: I don't usually read science fiction type books. I'm just not big into aliens, but this grabbed my attention because of the zombies. I thought this was an interesting concept, and I have to admit a little like one of my own works.
Aliens send a meteor to Earth which turns anyone who comes near it into zombies, ok I simplified that but it's the gist. These are not like any zombies I have watched or read about before. They are different from pretty much all other zombies, in that their sort of alive they eat, sleep, need to hydrate, etc. Yet their main objective is to spread the disease and make more of their kind. The plot was pretty straight forward, zombies attack and Connor wants to save his girlfriend from becoming one of them. I felt Mr Riddle could've worked on the characterization a little more. I didn't really connect with any of the characters, and they felt a little technical. Possibly even slightly forced, with the dialog. I felt like Mr Riddle was more comfortable with descriptions and the explanations, background etc. At times I felt a little overwhelmed with the amount of stuff being thrown at me.Yet I think it might have lost something if there had been less.
Still it was a decent read and I did like the change of venue. I found the alien take on the zombie genre, interesting and creative. The book has good moments and gross moments. I could actually see this as a bad Syfy movie, and becoming a cult classic. LOL. Over all I say give it a shot, if for nothing else but Mr Riddle's depiction of Burning Man. He desribed it so well, I hope one day I can go and it will be this outragous.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.