Friday, January 3, 2014

{Book Review} Cursed (Voodoo Nights #1) by Lizzy Ford

Cursed (Voodoo Nights #1)
by Lizzy Ford
Publisher: Evatopia Press
Release: February 9th 2014
Genre: Fiction- YA: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal, Slight Romance, Suspense
How I got it: NetGalley

The Red Man is coming ...

Five years after her sister disappeared, seventeen-year-old Adrienne finds the strength to return to her father’s home in New Orleans. But soon after she arrives, the mark of a curse appears on her, leaving her worried. Will she be the next victim of a four-hundred-year old family curse ... the next to be claimed by a serial killer roaming the back alleys of the city?

The day before his senior year begins, Jayden is given a skeleton key passed down through his family for generations -- a gruesome reminder of how his ancestors betrayed their own people and sold them into slavery. He doesn’t believe in the curse the key allegedly bears and puts it away with the intention of forgetting about its message. Until he meets Adrienne, a girl he’s compelled to for more reasons than her beauty.

He’s not the only one who notices her. A man in a skeleton mask and a voodoo gang member are also drawn to Adrienne. One is determined to protect her. The other intends to mislead her. Haunted by the mythical Red Man, all are connected to the ancient curse.

Can they overcome their misgivings about one another and prevent the dark prophecy looming over them? Or will they be lured away from each other by evil’s siren song?

Review: I was immediately drawn to the cover of Cursed and the blurb sealed the deal. I mean come on Voodoo, curses, and a serial killer. Why wouldn't I request it?
I was intrigued from the beginning of the book, wondering what was going on and pulled into the plot from the moment I "met" Marie. Slightly crazy old voodoo priestess, great character. 
I have to admit I did have my issues with Adrienne, mainly because I'm used to much tougher female leads. Personally she cried way to much for me, but the thing is it worked with her character. Adrienne is a very sensitive young woman, she seemed to have come from a sheltered life where she was taking care of her family, so she didn't have much social interaction. I found myself routing for her, and wanting to see more of the take charge Addy that randomly appeared though out the book. I felt she was better off with Rene who she could be herself around than Jayden who she seemed to transform into a mouse around.
I really wasn't crazy about Jayden, his attitude toward those he believed were below him pissed me off. Actually his whole demeanor pissed me off, it was ok for him to date Addy who was basically just like his poor side of the family yet he treated his family like crap. I don't know, the way he acted and talked just rubbed me the wrong way. On the other hand I loved Rene and wished he'd had a bigger part in the book. What can I say I have a soft spots for the good / bad boy.
I really had a hard time putting this book down and it was one that stayed with me, urging me to get back to it. I was really disappointed with the cliffhanger ending. The plot was well done, keeping me interested and wanting to know more. Sometimes I wanted to reach in and give the characters a good slap. The issue I had was all the social and racial matters peppering the book. Black/ white, poor/ rich, magic/ disbelief everything seem so one sided there was very little middle ground yet that's where Addy kept finding herself. I'll grudgingly add that Jayden did too, although to a lesser extent.
Over all this was a really good book and I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes in book 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...