{Book Review} Deep Sleep (Helen West #3) by Frances Fyfield

Deep Sleep (Helen West #3)
by Frances Fyfield
Publisher: Witness Impulse
Released: January 21, 2014
Genre: Fiction- Adult: Mystery, Suspense
How I got it: received a copy from author

This gripping psychological maze is perfect for fans of Ruth Rendell and P. D. James.

Pip Carlton is a devoted husband and a highly respected pharmacist, cherished by his loyal customers. When his wife dies in her sleep, with no apparent cause, he is distraught. Comforted by his caring assistant, Pip ignores the rumors about Margaret’s death, relieved that the police seem to have moved on.

But prosecutor Helen West refuses to believe that Margaret simply slipped into her final slumber. As she probes deeper into the affairs of the neighborhood, she uncovers a viper’s nest of twisted passion, jealous rage, and lethal addictions.

Then a sudden act of violence erupts, shaking the community, and one lone man, armed with strange love potions, prepares to murder again ….

Review: One word comes to mind when I think of this book, and that is confusing. I felt there were to many characters, and off shoot plots. I wasn't even all that sure of what time period this took place in and kept envisioning 1950's England. Which may have been in part to cultural differences and language, I speak American English this was based in Britain. I wasn't all to pleased know who did it right off the bat, I like to figure this stuff out, I was hoping for some kind of twist.
There were about six points of view and I really didn't like any of the characters. Which is good for the antagonist, but not so much for the main character. Actually I take that back I did like Doctor Hazel, but he only had a small part in the book, so I doubt he counts. I just pitied Tom, for his lack of family structure and mother's over protectiveness that didn't really work. Helen just annoyed me, sorry to say, she was pushy and over baring. Her whole attitude just irked me.
The plot was all right despite having the bad guy pointed out. I did like how everything coincide and work together toward the end, even though it was all over the place at the beginning. It was also kind of suspenseful toward the end which helped, keep me interested. Yet over all it just wasn't my cup of tea.



Comments