Monday, February 3, 2014

{Book Review} The ABCs of Yoga for Kids by Teresa Anne Power, Kathleen Rietz (Illustrator)

The ABCs of Yoga for Kids
by Teresa Anne Power, Kathleen Rietz (Illustrator), Brookes Nohlgren (Editor)
Publisher: Stafford House
Released: September 16th 2009
Genre: Non-fiction- Children's: Yoga, ABC's, educational
How I got it: Netgalley

The ABCs of Yoga for Kids uses the alphabet, rhyming vignettes, and colorful illustrations to introduce children to yoga in a kid-friendly way. Each of the fifty-six different poses featured in the book delightfully promote flexibility, strength, and coordination while encouraging children to incorporate healthy activity into their daily lives. Yoga is a noncompetitive form of exercise, suitable for children (and adults) of all ages and athletic abilities. Any activity for young children is important because the nation, including our youth, is under siege by obesity, stress, and diseases like diabetes, which stem from poor diet and lack of exercise. Yoga for young kids will create good habits and a foundation for well-being. Children have a lot of fun learning new positions, new letters, and new ideas. This book will delight and bring joy to the early yoga practitioner.

Review:  Super fun! I requested this book, in order to get my kids interested in fitness and a way for mommy to get in her yoga time without being bugged. Each letter has a few poses, so we did a letter a day working though the alphabet. My son really enjoyed learning the poses, along with working on his letters. The illustrations were bright and colorful. I liked how well they portrayed the pose. The limericks weren't great but explained how to do the poses, so I guess that probably is kind of hard to do rhyming.
I did like how all the poses were basic and easy for even little kids to do. My son is four and could do most of the poses with no problem. He liked acting like the animals the poses were named for as well. Which was fun to do.
I think this is a fun way to get kids interested in not just yoga, which can help them calm down, but fitness in general.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.