Tuesday, February 11, 2014

{Book Review} Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely #2) by Melissa Marr

Ink Exchange (Wicked Lovely #2)
by Melissa Marr
Publisher: HarperTeen
Released: April 24th 2008
Genre: Fiction- YA(verging on New Adult): dark fantasy, urban fantasy
How I got it: Given to me by a friend

Unbeknownst to mortals, a power struggle is unfolding in a world of shadows and danger. After centuries of stability, the balance among the Faery Courts has altered, and Irial, ruler of the Dark Court, is battling to hold his rebellious and newly vulnerable fey together. If he fails, bloodshed and brutality will follow.

Seventeen-year-old Leslie knows nothing of faeries or their intrigues. When she is attracted to an eerily beautiful tattoo of eyes and wings, all she knows is that she has to have it, convinced it is a tangible symbol of changes she desperately craves for her own life.

The tattoo does bring changes�not the kind Leslie has dreamed of, but sinister, compelling changes that are more than symbolic. Those changes will bind Leslie and Irial together, drawing Leslie deeper and deeper into the faery world, unable to resist its allures, and helpless to withstand its perils. . . .

Review: Darkly beautiful, yet at times disturbing. 
This is one of those train wreck books, at least it was for me, I wanted to look away or stop reading yet couldn't.  Leslie is this hurt and broken young woman who is a survivor despite all the horrible things that have happened to her. She's a fighter and yet so fragile. I was immediately interested in her, and the deeper I was pulled into her story, the more I couldn't stop reading because I had to know what would happen to her. Part of me kept hoping she was some sort of halfling (part fey, part human) who could survive what was happening to her. Leslie's ability to choose for herself, and the strength she draws from that make her such a great character.
The book touches on some very dark subject matter for me, such as sex, drugs, rape and addition. Personally I'm not a fan of this content in YA books. While none of it is shown, there are illusions to the sex and while Leslie is technically of age I felt it was walking a very fine line. I don't think this book should be read by anyone under 17 at the youngest as concepts are very adult in nature. I would hope anyone reading this book could take away the a lesson that you can over come and not to get pulled down by circumstance.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.