Wednesday, February 19, 2014

{Book Review} Virals (Virals #1) by Kathy Reichs

Virals (Virals #1)
by Kathy Reichs
Publisher: Penguin Razorbill
Released: November 2nd 2010
Genre: Fiction- YA: science fiction, mystery, suspense
How I got it: Bought it

Tory Brennan, niece of acclaimed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan (of the Bones novels and hit TV show), is the leader of a ragtag band of teenage "sci-philes" who live on a secluded island off the coast of South Carolina. When the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing on a nearby island, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever.

As the friends discover their heightened senses and animal-quick reflexes, they must combine their scientific curiosity with their newfound physical gifts to solve a cold-case murder that has suddenly become very hot if they can stay alive long enough to catch the killer's scent.

Fortunately, they are now more than friends. They're a pack. They are Virals.

Review: I have to admit that I only bought this book because 1) it was a couple bucks in the bargain bin and 2) I'm a huge Bones fan.
The first thing I noticed about the book was and I'm sorry I could help it but I had to compare Tory to Temperance. Tory is very much like her Aunt, in that she is logic minded, methodical,and has a strong sense of what is right and wrong. Tory allows her feeling to show and she interacts much better with others than her aunt. Ok comparison over on to the book. I was able to empathize with Tory and her friend, when they decided to rescue the puppy. I found Tory's attachment to the wolf-dog pack endearing. As the book progressed I was pulled into the mystery and intrigue.
While extremely smart and adult at time, she is also very much a normal teenager. She wants to be accepted by her peers and yet has a hard time fitting in. Like most kids she fits into a group and those are her close friends, who are willing to get in trouble for her if need be. Like the old saying "a friend will help you move your couch, a best friend will help you move a body."
I'm not usually one for amateur sleuthing or science fiction, so I was a little out of my comfort zone with this book. Yet I found it interesting and actually well balanced with the mystery and the special powers, etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...