Sunday, March 23, 2014

{Book Review} Contagious (Infected #2) by Scott Sigler

Contagious (Infected #2)
by Scott Sigler
Publisher: Random House Audio
Release: December 30th 2008
Genre: Fiction- Adult: Sci fi, horror
How I got it: Podiobooks

From the acclaimed author of Infected comes an epic and exhilarating story of humanity’s secret battle against a horrific enemy.

Across America, a mysterious pathogen transforms ordinary people into raging killers, psychopaths driven by a terrifying, alien agenda. The human race fights back, yet after every battle the disease responds, adapts, using sophisticated strategies and brilliant ruses to fool its pursuers. The only possible explanation: the epidemic is driven not by evolution but by some malevolent intelligence.

Standing against this unimaginable threat is a small group, assembled under the strictest secrecy. Their best weapon is hulking former football star Perry Dawsey, left psychologically shattered by his own struggles with this terrible enemy, who possesses an unexplainable ability to locate the disease’s hosts. Violent and unpredictable, Perry is both the nation’s best hope and a terrifying liability. Hardened CIA veteran Dew Phillips must somehow forge a connection with him if they’re going to stand a chance against this maddeningly adaptable opponent. Alongside them is Margaret Montoya, a brilliant epidemiologist who fights for a cure even as she reels under the weight of endless horrors.

These three and their team have kept humanity in the game, but that’s not good enough anymore, not when the disease turns contagious, triggering a fast countdown to Armageddon. Meanwhile, other enemies join the battle, and a new threat — one that comes from a most unexpected source — may ultimately prove the most dangerous of all.

Catapulting the reader into a world where humanity’s life span is measured in hours and the president’s finger hovers over the nuclear button, rising star Scott Sigler takes us on a breathtaking, hyper-adrenalized ride filled with terror and jaw-dropping action. Contagious is a truly grand work of suspense, science, and horror from a new master.

Review: I started listening to this right after I finished Infected. I really like Mr. Sigler's story telling ability, he has a wonderful talent for pulling you into his twist and macabre world.
For me this book was terrifying in many ways, but mainly giving a seven year old crazy omnipotent powers over a group of soldiers. Making these well trained, fighting men basically toy soldiers for her. She's a little girl still trying to grip the basics of right and wrong, whose being manipulated by a machine made by beings from outer space. To me this was masterfully scary.
I really liked that Perry redeemed himself in this book. I also found myself warming up to Dew quite a bit. While I'm still on the fence about Margaret. Granted she does what she needs to to beat the infection, she also has to bend her morals to do so. Her attitude about everything, made me iffy toward her. Not sure why but I had a hard time liking her. She changed quite a bit in this book which also made it hard for me to connect to her character.
As with the first book lots of gore, action and blowing stuff up. Although not as much self-inflicted gore, which was nice since I'm not sure I could stomach that again. Warning if squeamish stay away from the series. Over all great book and I can't wait to get my hands on book three... hoping Mr Sigler will be making a podiobook of it as well. I checked out the book trailer and it looks to be just as gory and horror filled as the first two.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...