Tuesday, March 18, 2014

{Book Review} Rotters by Daniel Kraus

Rotters
by Daniel Kraus
Read by
Publisher: Listening Library (Audio)
Released: April 5th 2011
Genre: Fiction- Young Adult: Contemporary
How I got it: Downloaded for free during a promotion

Grave-robbing. What kind of monster would do such a thing? It's true that Leonardo da Vinci did it, Shakespeare wrote about it, and the resurrection men of nineteenth-century Scotland practically made it an art. But none of this matters to Joey Crouch, a sixteen-year-old straight-A student living in Chicago with his single mom. For the most part, Joey's life is about playing the trumpet and avoiding the daily humiliations of high school.

Everything changes when Joey's mother dies in a tragic accident and he is sent to rural Iowa to live with the father he has never known, a strange, solitary man with unimaginable secrets. At first, Joey's father wants nothing to do with him, but once father and son come to terms with each other, Joey's life takes a turn both macabre and exhilarating.

Daniel Kraus's masterful plotting and unforgettable characters make Rotters a moving, terrifying, and unconventional epic about fathers and sons, complex family ties, taboos, and the ever-present specter of mortality.

Review: I downloaded Rotters during the summer when it was offered for free. I finally got around to listening to it and was sorely disappointed. Joey loses his mother at the beginning of the book and has to go live with his father. A man he never really thought of much less knows. Ok fine, pretty decent beginning. When he arrives at his fathers, things go from bad to worst. His father lives in a shack, and is a pack rat verging on hoarder. Although as the book progresses you learn there is a method to his madness. While I felt bad for Joey as the book progressed I found myself becoming irritated with him and his constant whining. Everyone hates me, my dads a loser and treats me like crap. I thought at one point he was coming around and was finally going to stand up for himself. But I was mistaken. When my MP3 player died I was actually relieved and didn't bother finish listening to this book. It was a big fat DNF.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post. Just a heads up I moderate my comments, sorry for any inconvenience.